Talk

Advanced search

18mths still not saying any proper words

(28 Posts)
DaddyCool Tue 21-Dec-04 15:46:01

I'm sure things like this have been done to death but my 18mth DS is still just babbling (constantly) so we get dadada babababa wawawaa nanananan, diediedie (that one's a bit concerning!) but no real words and nothing that kind of sounds like a proper word. He mostly just squeals and points at things.

Anyone had the same thing? Reason for concern?

logICICLE Tue 21-Dec-04 15:58:07

They all start speaking at different times. My ds started saying words at 12 months then regressed to baby babble and didn't start again until after he learned to walk (at 19 months!). Ask your health visitor if you are worried though.

bigbananaflambe Tue 21-Dec-04 15:58:29

I think they all develop at such different rates - I shouldn't think it's anything to worry about - you could always phone your health visitor to put your mind at rest. I'm no help, but wanted to bump this message up incase someone else has any experience.

Jimjambells Tue 21-Dec-04 16:46:40

Nothing to worry about. All they should be doing by 18 months is pointing- (and communicating in other non-verbal ways- but pointing is particularly important). Speech (as oppsed to language understanding and non verbal communication) is not important at all at 18 months.

MUSA Tue 21-Dec-04 16:50:45

Daddycool don't worry my ds is 15 months he does'nt walk nor talk. It use to bother me but it does,nt any more.

At the end of the day when he does start he's not gonna stop.

Gobbledigoose Tue 21-Dec-04 16:51:23

No reason for concern - mine didn't say anything coherent at 18 months either though my friend's dd was talking in sentences ! Mine have caught up now and ds1 is actually a lot more articulate than some of his peers even though his first word came much later than theirs.

DS2 is just 2 and has got hundreds of words and is putting 2-4 words together - 6 months ago there was very little that we could understand. Once they start, they come on very quickly but there is no reason to worry yet.

The fact that he is pointing and communicating with you shows he is fine. The other thing that shows he is coming on OK is if he can follow simple instructions from you, like 'bring me your shoes' or 'where is your drink'.

Piffleoffagus Tue 21-Dec-04 17:26:05

we had very limited babble up until 6 wks ago, now you cannot shut her up. We even got referred to a speech and language therapist.
DD can already say important things like bra and beer marmite banana water belt t shirt trousers... the list is endless
And dd only started walking last week and she is 26 mths!
They do develop at very different rates, my 1st was walking at 9 mnths and could put three words to a sentence at 14 mths...
But up until 6 wks ago dd could not even say anything aside from nana!
Makes you scratch your head at times but do try not to worry and never ever compare with other children

jenkel Tue 21-Dec-04 17:58:32

Again, would not worry. My dd was only babbling at 18 months, couldnt say a recognisable word at all. However, when she was exactly 2 she started Nursery and we noticed a huge improvement within weeks. She is now 28 months and talking perfectly.

CHUNKYMUNKEY Tue 21-Dec-04 19:54:09

My HV said my dd was severely speech delayed at 2, she wasn't saying anything and we were referred to a speech therapist, but about two weeks before we had to go for the appointment she started saying a few words, then whole sentences within a few more weeks and now she never stops. Some things are still rambled but most of it is very clear and she is 3.4 months. They really all do develop at their own pace.

KristmasBear Tue 21-Dec-04 20:52:54

My DS was referred to speech therapy at 2.5 yrs (more my concern than HV's as no one but me could understand him). Now at 3.3 years he has a very good vocab and speaks so well I can hardly believe it. After the one visit to speech therapy I made more effort to talk to him constantly and made sure he could see my mouth moving while I talked. I am sure this helped with his formation of words.

At your child's age I wouldn't worry too much though but if you continue to be concerned get a referral and let the experts put your mind at rest.

Good luck.

motherinfestivemood Tue 21-Dec-04 20:56:23

I started \{http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=8&threadid=44812\this thread} about my DD2. She's the same age as your lad, but I've stopped worrying. One very reassuring thing is that she communicates, non-verbally, very clearly.

motherinfestivemood Tue 21-Dec-04 20:56:49

Sod, I meant this thread, dammit

ItllBeLonelymumThisChristmas Tue 21-Dec-04 21:02:03

My ds1 didn't start to say coherent (or not so coherent) words until he was 26 months old. Ds3 (22 months) is only just saying words a stranger could make out and that only Mama and no! I was worried at the time about ds1 but he is now 8 and very bright, though language clearly isn't his thing at school. It won't hold him back ultimately though, I'm sure.

ItllBeLonelymumThisChristmas Tue 21-Dec-04 21:04:56

I think the thing to worry about would be if your ds showed no signs of understanding you. Ds1 could follow quite complex instructions (Go and get your shoes and socks...etc) months before he could speak.

OhComeLetUsADiorHim Tue 21-Dec-04 21:10:25

Honestly don't worry. Mine did not make sense to anyone but me until he was over 2, and even then people could not really understand him until 2.5yrs. Now he talks for England. Had two SALT appts, and she is going to see him again, but he has not had any actual speech therapy, because the therapist has been happy with his progress. Some just talk later than others. My ds always had a lot going on in his head, and was obviously bright, so I tried not to let his lack of speech worry me...didn't always work though!

tinseltortoiseshell Tue 21-Dec-04 21:17:10

Definitely the understanding is more important, and the pointing is great. I spoke to our HV about ds, because at 2 he wasn't really forming sentences, although he had a very good vocabulary. She said that they vary HUGELY to start with but by age 3 or so they have levelled out more - it's true, children who were very precocious early talkers don't now talk any 'better' or more fluently than ds - he was just taking his time. Incidentally, dh didn't speak at all (i.e. not a word!) until he was 2 and a bit, and his first words were a perfectly formed sentence.

OhComeLetUsADiorHim Tue 21-Dec-04 21:18:43

That's very true tortoise. My ds' buddy is now much less clear and articulate than ds, and he talked much earlier than ds.

jane313 Wed 22-Dec-04 17:57:23

My son was 18 months last week and doesn't say much. He has said about 10 or so different words a few times then stops. He babbles a lot and points and understands loads so am not worried despite having to listen to a friends son recite whole nursery rhymes! (hes 3 months older!)

CelluliteClaus Sat 25-Dec-04 07:02:12

It is very reassuring to read this thread as I was getting a little concerned about DS who will be 17 mo next week. He isn't saying any words either (loads of babbling) but he does point and he does understand simple commands. He can on the other hand put the Teletubbies video on and scroll down the channels until he finds the video channel!

NoMoomAtTheInn Sat 25-Dec-04 11:06:23

Ds is 18 months and still babbling. It's very 'conversational' IYKWIM - he obviously thinks he's talking perfectly coherently! - but there are no really discernable words yet.

Then again, this morning we did get 'woofwoof' when he opened a push-along doggy present - and a proper 'Nooooo!' accompanied by vehement head-shaking for the first time, too. I reckon he learnt that one just in time for his first serving of sprouts

coppertop Sat 25-Dec-04 21:17:09

Agree with those saying that understanding and communication are the key. Ds2 is nearly 23 months and is awaiting a full assessment for autism. He now has some single words but understands very little of what we say. He can point but doesn't use pointing or words to let us know what he wants.

Ds1 didn't really start to talk until he was about 3yrs old (autistic). 18 months later and he has pretty much caught up with his classmates who were all talking at the usual age.

tillykins Sat 25-Dec-04 21:25:45

Hello DaddyCool,
I don't know if this will help but my friends little girl is 21 months and only just starting to say words that mean anything if you see what I mean. My baby is 13 months and they are talking in the same way, though my friends little girl can do a lot more things physically
Sorry, I sound muddly, what I mean is I think they all learn to talk at a different time. If your little boy can make himself understood and if he seems to understand you, then its probably okay and he will start to say words when he is good and ready - but take him to your doctor for a check up if you are worried
I hope this makes sense
Tilly

colditzcolditzcold Sat 25-Dec-04 21:31:53

My ds is not talking yet either, and he is 21 months. He says dog, car, and ta. He makes noises and points. he doesn't even babble. However if I ask him to brush his hair, he will get the brush and do it. If you child is indicating wants, needs, or interests, and understanding what you say, I wouldn't worry yet.

Saying that, my boy doesn't yet speak, so no magic formula, sorry

bensmum3 Mon 27-Dec-04 20:32:45

Hi, We live in a small community and ds is 18 months today, he can say over 100 words that he seems to understand the meaning of, and he can address all the residents by name, Our next youngest resident is 22 months and can't say anything comprehensible, yet he and my son get along just fine, i think as long as you think s/he's hearing you with no problems it's too eary to compare and start worrying, make the most of it whilst you can stil invent what you think s/hes saying, it won't be long before the demands start flooding in !

JLS Wed 12-Jan-05 20:16:00

My son is 22 months and hardly speaks. He babbles now and then and for words only says 'car', 'no' (a lot), 'teddy', 'pooh', 'baby' (not so much now that no. 2 is six months and there is some jealousy). He also says 'shoe' pronounced 'doo' and used to say 'yes' which was pronounced 'yish' or 'yesh'. I'm starting to get a bit worried about this. He does understand questions, such as 'give mummy a kiss' or 'pass me the bottle' (milk for baby not wine for me!) but that's about it. Has anyone else had a 22 month old who has been like this and then talked okay after all? Is there anything I should be doing? Can it be a sign of something ominous?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now