Talk

Advanced search

Is it temper tantrums at this young age?? help!

(8 Posts)
Idobelieveinfairies Mon 17-Dec-07 13:01:35

6 months, has anyone been through it at this young age??

For example...being happy and then going crazy when we put his coat on. He screams in temper when we put him in/out car seat or pram. When a toy falls off his walker he throws himself about. He goes as stiff as a board and wont bend in the middle. He goes mad when he hears/sees the phone or remote but can't have it. Just so much anger!

He sees the cat walks past and he wants it!!!!

My sister has been in tears because of this and keeps asking me if this is usual. Problem being i have had 8 children and none of them have been this young to hae a temper, and she has realised this.

He can be happy (getting more rare) and he has the most beautiful smile and laugh, and we are missing them loads!

We just need to hear that some babies are like this and it is a phase was pass please wink

ArmadilloDaMan Mon 17-Dec-07 13:03:32

some babies are like this, it is a phase that will pass.

SOme just don't like being babies and want to be independant and do everything themselves.

It gets better when they can crawl/get around by themselves.

Distract from anger.

When ds got himself worked up into a fury and couldn't stop we used to make loud noise to grab his attention then he could calm down from there.

Idobelieveinfairies Mon 17-Dec-07 13:06:12

i actually did do a bit of loud talk to him this morning. He had a massive temper tantrum this morning when i tried giving him breakfast...(he is very hard to wean becasue of the screaming) and it did make him quiten down.....i did feel like it was a bit of a competition between us in the end though!..lol

Thanks for posting....and good to hear it is a phase!

Idobelieveinfairies Mon 17-Dec-07 13:07:56

right must go...he is waking up.....i am thinking about keeping Henry Hoover on constantly as henry is the only thing he seems to like at the moment!

jabuti Mon 17-Dec-07 13:10:37

i had an idea idobelieve... maybe baby sign woudl be appropriate for your nephew so he can communicate in other ways besides crying? i dont know if 6 months is too young for that, i havent researched the starting age yet. but we are definitely going to do it with our DD, even though she is not that difficult, i think it must be nice for babies to be able to communicate in other ways besides crying.

ArmadilloDaMan Mon 17-Dec-07 13:42:14

I think things like sing and sign start from around 6 months so he's prob the right age to start now.

blueshoes Mon 17-Dec-07 13:50:35

fairies, that sounds just like my ds smile

If he hears 'no', he goes up to the coffee table and sweeps everything off it within reach. He is 15 months but we had an inkling of his 'temper' since much younger.

yes, he also has the most lovely smile and is very interactive, enthusiastic, active, personable little fella. Imitates his big sister and us and is a happy soul. But god help us if he does not get his way ...

He also does this thing whereby he throws himself back and writhes on the floor - we call it "axyl rose".

My dd was a lot like that from a young age, without the flinging and throwing herself around, but equally passionate and affronted when thwarted.

Dd 4 is still strong willed as they come, but I like these spirited children. They drive you to distraction but are so much fun (not always).

All I can say is that your nephew will probably mellow with time. And your sister will have to teach him better ways of expressing himself, once he is older. In the meantime, lots of distraction and cuddles. hth

blueshoes Mon 17-Dec-07 13:52:49

yes, try baby sign.

In my ds' case, he is very good at telling us what he wants, even without language or signing (pointing and grunts are fab tool). It is only when he hears 'no' or something is taken off him that he kicks off.

It's just his personality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now