Talk

Advanced search

Depression in children

(8 Posts)
seeker Sun 16-Dec-07 08:01:06

When does sadness and having a bit of a hard time and possibly being hormonal in an 11 year old turn into depression and how would you tell? Or is that a how long is a piece of string type question?

HonoriaGlossop Sun 16-Dec-07 08:45:15

I honestly think that would be impossible to tell, on here. Sorry, I know that's probably not what you want to hear!

i think a trip to the GP would be the best place to start here but go with quite a focussed request in mind, as in "I think they could be depressed and could you refer us to the children and adolescent mental health team to find out?" rather than "I'm a bit worried about little Jane here"

I always find being specific in what you're asking for helps when seeing the GP.

Good luck ..

seeker Sun 16-Dec-07 09:16:13

Thank you - I know it's difficult/ impossible - I just wondered if anyone had any experiences to share. I am very wary of "medicalizing" - if that's a word - and I have been reassuring her that what she's feeling is perfectly normal. And I think it is - she has had a hard time for various reasons the last couple of months. But I just didn't want to miss anything. I think I'll carry on being generally supportive over Christmas and see how she is after she's had a rest and some fun!

Blandmum Sun 16-Dec-07 09:23:13

Impossible to tell on line. Depression in teenagers can be hard to spot, both for parents and GPs. On the whole it tends to be under diagnosed.

HonoriaGlossop Sun 16-Dec-07 09:52:44

that sounds a good plan seeker. If she's had a hard time then as you say it's only normal that she should feel down - as you say, have a good rest and the fun of christmas and then you'll probably be in a better position to judge if this is on-going and needs dealing with.

Anna8888 Mon 17-Dec-07 13:26:40

The 11 year old daughter of one of my dearest friends has anorexia.

My friend is a very attentive (probably over controlling) mother but didn't spot the anorexia herself - the GP picked up on it at a routine visit.

I think that it is very hard to judge your own child and I would urge you to seek professional help. My friend was very wary about seeking psychiatric help for her daughter, but it is necessary.

ohcomeALYefaithful Mon 17-Dec-07 13:31:17

Perhaps you could contact the charity Young Minds, you leave details and they get a professionally qualified person to call you back at a convenient time.

I found they were very helpful with my DD's (who is younger) anxiety and nightmare problems.

If you do go to GP (probably teaching you to suck eggs here but) either telephone first or go without DD so you can discuss what you need without her hearing. So at the actual appointment the GP can talk to your DD not you.

Good luck, I'm sure the rest from school will help.

seeker Tue 18-Dec-07 09:27:06

thank you all for your advice. 5 didn't know about Young Minds - they look really helpful. She had a really bad day on Friday, which was why I was so worried, but it's as if she had to have that really bad day before things started to get better, and she is practically back to her old self this week. I will keep waiting watchfully to see how she is over the holidays and into the new term. Thank you all again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now