Help with feeding not a cook please dont judge😶

(6 Posts)
Ponderinglife123 Tue 23-Feb-21 12:48:39

Im a self confessed junk food addict and im trying my best to make home cooked meals for my LO any advice is welcome my HV has said shes taking enough milk about 19oz a day over 3 feeds but she seems to be spitting up a lot recently..anyone else with a 7month old with a rough guide on what feeding should look like at this age?

OP’s posts: |
Ponderinglife123 Tue 23-Feb-21 14:43:52

*bump any takers how big should portion sizes be at this age?

niceandsimple Tue 23-Feb-21 19:13:51

A 7 month old is really not going to be eating for nutrition yet, so a spoon here and there is fine. Unless they want more, which is also ok. nut probably not more than 3-4 spoons at a time. Does your baby eat anything yet?
I did Baby Led Weaning - ie a lot of finger food. so cucumber sticks bread sticks, oven baked chicken, oven baked chips, pieces of bread etc. My DD would just put it in her mouth and some was swallowed at this stage, and some spat out, but this way she was introduced to lots of food. I also made soups and spoon fed her those, although gave her the soft veg from the soup to eat in her hands.

niceandsimple Tue 23-Feb-21 19:17:32

just to add, DD1 ate lots from 6 months, but DD2 wasn't interested and was still having 1-2 spoons per meal till she was around 9 months. She still has a small appetite and can easily eat half of what her sister eats!!
the important bit at this age is variety, although introduce things slowly if there is a history of allergies, and to watch for the baby's signals for interest - or lack thereof.

BunnyRuddington Tue 23-Feb-21 19:18:42

I feel fir you as I wasn't much of a cook before I had my first and have had to learn along the way.

There's a good guide from the Caroline Walker Trust here that gives information on portion sizes, sample menus and suggestions of things to give them.

You'd probably find the weaning section useful, it's under "Feed the World" and there are some great weaning recipes on MN here

Just to add that if she's only having 19floz she needs a multivitamin each day too smile

Ponderinglife123 Tue 23-Feb-21 21:43:04

Thanks yh ive ordered some multivitams for her i was told as long as she drank 500ml a day she was fine but they dont do any harm..she eats pureed/mashed up foods but like i said i dont want to have her on pouches and jars all the time i know thats not best for her. Ive been making chicken casserole, mince and potatoes, mashed up eggs just plain kind of boring food obvs i give her mashed veg and fruit too but that website sounds great i ll look on it in the morning thanks for not judging! X

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in