My 2 year old still has a bottle to bed

(13 Posts)
Mamma1234567 Fri 18-Dec-20 15:22:14

My just 2 year old still has a bottle of milk in her cot before bed. I want to try and transition her away from the bottle can anyone possibly give me any advice on what they found best?

Some people say lower the milk and give her it in a sippy cup! Others have said just give her water in a sippy cup ?

Any advice would be very much appreciated

OP’s posts: |
tempnamechange98765 Fri 18-Dec-20 19:50:08

Following as my 21 month old does too, and also sometimes in the night if he needs settling!

He won't drink milk from a sippy cup, he makes a face as if we've given him poison. Yet he will drink water from a sippy cup happily. I've tried watering down milk but he knows.

SuperSleepyBaby Fri 18-Dec-20 22:15:22

Why do you want to stop it? My 4 year old still likes a bottle before bed like her 2 year old sister. It doesn’t do any harm and makes them happy.

I water down the milk a lot so they are not filling up on milk.

Echobelly Fri 18-Dec-20 22:17:03

Maybe move to a sippy cup? DS insisted on a cup of warm milk before bed until he was about 4!

NoKnit Sun 20-Dec-20 21:35:03

Cot at 2 🤔surely she can walk and get around properly so no need?

I don't know mine both didn't have milk for bed from about 8/9 months so it was no habit to get out of. But I think at 2 it will be easy to get them out of the habit and they forget quickly so couple of bad nights and then they will be used to it.

Do you clean her teeth after she has had the milk? This is pretty important.

ZooKeeper19 Mon 21-Dec-20 11:07:10

@Mamma1234567 agree with @SuperSleepyBaby - why stop something that is of comfort and the baby likes? I'd water down the milk if worried, but I see no problem with a bottle.

Mamma1234567 Mon 21-Dec-20 12:03:55

Thank you everyone, nursery was just shocked when I said she was still with a bottle so just wanted to see what everyone else is doing !! :-) I think I'll try using a sippy cup as that's what nursery give her it in as well smile

Mamma1234567 Mon 21-Dec-20 12:05:45

NoKnit

Cot at 2 🤔surely she can walk and get around properly so no need?

I don't know mine both didn't have milk for bed from about 8/9 months so it was no habit to get out of. But I think at 2 it will be easy to get them out of the habit and they forget quickly so couple of bad nights and then they will be used to it.

Do you clean her teeth after she has had the milk? This is pretty important.

@NoKnit yep still in a cot at 2 😱 she turned 2 last week! And of course she can walk around but lucky mummy she hasn't learned to escape the cot yet!

123456kent Tue 29-Dec-20 22:33:14

My daughter was in a cot until she was 3, no protests from her. Couldn’t think of a single reason why this was a problem.
She also still has a bottle of milk morning and night - there is a reason this isn’t great - teeth. But we do clean after the milk. Ideally i’d stop it, but when we’ve tried she protests, and I figure she could hugely do with the extra calories (very skinny), so is there a harm...? Milk has nutrients doesn’t it? Not like it’s a bottle of coke before bed. It’s not top of my priorities to stop right now

whenthestarsgoblue Tue 26-Jan-21 16:06:19

Take the bottle replace with cup - google Baby bottle mouth and I guarantee you'll ditch the bottles. It's awful for their teeth

surreygirl1987 Tue 26-Jan-21 23:08:05

Best for them to stay in their cot until they try to climb out... My 2 year old will be staying in his cot until then! He also has a bottle of milk before bed and he loves it. We clean his teeth well after though.

OhToBeASeahorse Wed 27-Jan-21 05:01:43

@NoKnit perfectly normal to be in a cot at 2. What's it got to do with walking?

SingleparentHomeschool Wed 27-Jan-21 21:59:35

My DC were breastfed to sleep til they were over 3. The only issue with this is teeth. If you can find a way to clean them after without waking her (maybe one of those finger brushes? Or at least give a swill with water) then I really wouldn’t worry.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in