Talk

Advanced search

2 year old eating non edible things

(5 Posts)
shas19 Mon 07-Sep-20 23:36:25

She just will not stop! It started with the coal in the fire place, now shes ripped the wallpaper off and is literally eating my wall. Shes into absolutely everything and very clued up for her age, not sure whether that's good or badgin. I cant even let her in the garden for long as shes eating dirt or stones off the floor. I wouldnt kind but I cook homemade fresh meals everyday and she will leave the lot and then next thing I know shes got something she shouldn't in her mouth. I was thinking maybe she could have pica? She eat a lot as it is very picky and would happily live on milk and fruit. It's so frustrating and I'm worried what she will be like when she goes to nursery and what she might eat there fml

OP’s posts: |
FortunesFave Tue 08-Sep-20 07:28:01

My DD did this. She's 12 now...when she was about 18 months she started eating the wall plaster. Moved on to laundry powder! Obviously I stopped that. As a child I ate earth obsessively.

It's definitely sounds like Pica and is an indication of a shortage of minerals.

My DD would have lived off cucumber and chocolate at this age.

Take her for some tests...see if she's short of anything in her diet. They may give you a supplement.

shas19 Tue 08-Sep-20 09:10:40

@FortunesFave I've been on and on for about a year to the drs and they take no notice. Gona give them another call today I think. She defo must be missing something as she doesnt eat alot, loves cucumber also! I caught her this morning eating a plate, an actual plate ffs

OP’s posts: |
FortunesFave Tue 08-Sep-20 10:38:46

Here's a good link from the NHS about toddlers and vitamins. www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/vitamins-for-children/

It gives a guide as to what they can have and what they can't...too many vitamins can be dangerous. But if I were you I'd look into something.

The link also says if you're entitled to something called Healthy Start then you can get free vitamin drops. www.healthystart.nhs.uk/

Facelikearustytractor Fri 11-Sep-20 22:42:45

I have this with my 18 month old and was wondering the same. Earlier I stopped at the traffic lights and he was chewing on a plant nearby in his buggy. He is the same in the garden and he has attempted to eat the snails and picked any of the veg or fruit we have grown to eat and tried to eat flowers and stones. He will try and eat anything and he reminds me of the game Pacman.

The only thing I would say is he is a very hungry boy and eats a really good diet and is still breastfed, so think he is probably ok for vitamins and minerals, but I will see if they make a difference.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in