7yo son has anxiety

(4 Posts)
inmyfeels Wed 12-Aug-20 09:01:19

Just reaching out to other mums who might have similar situation going on. My 7yo son has always been a bit of a fusspot but over the last couple of years, after lots of reading up, we’ve come to the conclusion that he suffers with anxiety. So many normal things are really daunting for him and so many bedtimes are spent sobbing into his pillow and asking a million questions about what lies ahead. This could be about a trip, school work, driving somewhere... absolutely anything big or small. He even broke down one evening because he was worried how he would have enough money to buy a house when he’s older and was panicking about it. He constantly worries about police and going to jail - following rules and order is a massive thing to him. He will continue to ask questions about something until he’s satisfied that fully understands it, otherwise he gets anxious.

It’s draining for me and my husband but I am learning to be patient and understanding more and more. I am still looking for all the information I can and researching all the time at ways to manage it.

I feel like he’s getting to an age where my son needs to learn about what’s going on in his head himself and I’m worried if we don’t get a handle on the whole thing soon what lasting effects it might have.

Can anyone offer any real life advice or support please?

OP’s posts: |
FreyaM Wed 12-Aug-20 14:42:57

Wow this sounds so difficult. I guess there's a lot to worry about in the world.

I don't have a 7 year old, mine are younger, but I'm a speech language therapist and have a blog with parenting tips.
I absolutely love books as a tool to help kids with mindset stuff. They help kids to learn through characters so it's less confronting but still a brilliant way to cope with emotions and things.
This is a link for a book list on growth mindset- the books are great for dealing with mistakes and knowing your potential.
www.happierwithtea.com/kids-books-growth-mindset/

I bet if you googled kids books on anxiety you'd find lots of cool stories that give situations and characters that your child will identify with, as well as internal 'scripts' and strategies that he can use to combat those feelings.

Hope that helps!

BlueChampagne Wed 12-Aug-20 15:11:16

DS1 is a bit anxious and had a phase of being particularly anxious about the age of 8. I found Helen Kennerley's book "Overcoming Anxiety" useful.

BlueChampagne Tue 18-Aug-20 13:11:36

Just this morning received a leaflet about adult courses at local secondary schools. One of them is a day course in "overcoming anxiety and building self esteem in children". Might be worth checking out if there's anything like that in your area.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in