Talk

Advanced search

Niece screams when held

(4 Posts)
Spacebound Wed 05-Aug-20 15:03:46

Hi,
I don’t have any experience with children at all so I just wanted to jump on here and ask a quick question.
My niece turned one in June and for about the past 4-6 months she gets absolutely hysterical if anyone except her Mum picks her up (she won’t even go to her Dad). She is quite happy to sit there and play with you but if you attempt to pick her up or move her in anyway she literally screams like nothing Iv ever heard before and really fights with you to get away. It’s got to the point now we’re if you so much as even touch her arm or leg she pushes you away and often started crying too.
The problem isn’t helped by her Mum who loves the fact she will go to nobody but her. Is this normal behaviour and will she grow out of it?

I have noticed a couple of other things with her like wriggling her fingers and toes all the time and making like shouting noises but no real words. I’m worried about possible autism or something.
Thanks x

OP’s posts: |
Somanyusernamess Wed 05-Aug-20 16:47:10

Has she spent alot of lockdown just being with her mum? I only say this as my 15 month old has been very similar to as you describe since lockdown. I have been gradually spending more time with family members and she will only cling to me and will go berserk if anybody else goes to pick her up or gets too close. I've considered it normal considering she didn't see anyone else but me and dp for months. That said I do have other autism concerns but hadn't thought of this as a symptom hmm

Spacebound Thu 06-Aug-20 15:34:32

Yes they have spent lockdown together but her Dad has been there too just as much and even he can’t go near her. I would say this started just before lockdown though and has gradually got worse

OP’s posts: |
SparrowNest Fri 18-Sep-20 11:25:06

It’s normal for separation anxiety to peak between about 8 and 15 months, and lockdown has probably exacerbated it. Mine is similar, though she’ll go to her dad she does prefer to be held by me sometimes. I don’t know what to suggest other than her dad makes an effort to keep playing and interacting with her as much as possible, and to gradually work up to holding for longer periods and spending time alone with her.

With family she doesn’t see so often, it’s perfectly natural not to want to be held and passed around like a newborn who knows no different.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in