Receptive language delay

(8 Posts)
Babydevelopment1 Thu 30-Jul-20 23:14:44

Hey everyone, I am just looking for some advice re a receptive language delay. We have been told this by a SLT who has given us some techniques to work with.

Can I just ask what experiences people have had with this and what was the outcome?
I have tried to google this but it’s all mainly pointing me towards autism so I just would like to hear of anyone’s personal experiences.
Thanks in advance

OP’s posts: |
Babydevelopment1 Thu 30-Jul-20 23:15:53

Sorry I forgot to mention my son has just turned two and we were given this “diagnosis” following an assessment.

AladdinMum Sat 01-Aug-20 01:31:22

I assume as his receptive language is delayed so will be his expensive language. How is his non verbal communication? so to meet his needs and to share interests with you?

AladdinMum Sat 01-Aug-20 01:31:50

* expressive language

Babydevelopment1 Sat 01-Aug-20 08:27:37

@AladdinMum thank you for the reply, he mainly brings objects to me. For example a bottle or plate for food. He will bring me toys or a book to read or play with him. He does follow simple instructions. My main concern is the lack of pointing with him,

Babydevelopment1 Sat 01-Aug-20 08:31:15

@AladdinMum if a truck passes he will look at the truck and look back at me

AladdinMum Sat 01-Aug-20 21:29:22

If he follows simple instructions how does he have receptive language delay? unless the instructions that he is able to follow are very very simple? well below what is expected at 24M? - I do agree that a lack of pointing would be concerning at his age.

Babydevelopment1 Sun 09-Aug-20 18:46:06

@AladdinMum it’s an expressive language delay! My goodness I can’t believe I got they so wrong. The SLT isn’t overly concerned with pointing at the minute because of the eye contact, ability to follow instruction and interact so I’m hoping the pointing will come soon.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in