Talk

Advanced search

Why is DD scared of DH's voice!

(6 Posts)
Chirpygirl Sun 30-Sep-07 20:15:48

DD is 19 months and a bit of a mummy'd girl at the moment (I am very pregnant though so that might have something to do with it)
The problem we are having is when DH calls her to get her attention (she gets engrossed in things) if he calls her name loudly she dissolves into hysterical tears, runs away from him to me and sobs and shakes for about 5 minutes. She also does this if he says no to her, even if he isn't saying it in a 'cross' way, just normally.

It is starting to upset him as she won't be comforted by him when she is like this, she screams if he comes anywhere near her, although after she has stopped weeping (the big drama queen!) she will happily play with him and muck about with him! I have to go into hospital to have this baby and am worried about what he will do when she freaks out and I am not there.

He can't lower his voice as she really doesn't pay attention (we think she might have hearing problems that run in both our families) so any suggestions?! Or experiences? Or sympathy!

2shoes Sun 30-Sep-07 20:18:27

instead of raising his voice. could he not go to her and tap her on the shoulder or put his face infront of hers(not wording it well but I am sure you know what I mean) i don't think men realise how scarey they can sound.

Chirpygirl Sun 30-Sep-07 20:22:15

He could but he is a lazy sod!

It wouldn't solve the fact that she seems frightened though, he doesn't even say it in a low angry tone, it's all kept light and lovely, but it still doesn't help.

He hasn't told her off in nearly a week and leaves it to me as the aftermath is so bad. When I tell her not to do something she whines but stops, maybe a few sobs to try her luck, but when he does it all hell breaks loose.

InMyHumbleOpinion Sun 30-Sep-07 20:24:23

He needs to spend more time with her on her own. She WILL turn to him for comfort if he is the only parent their.

Chirpyghoul Sun 30-Sep-07 20:43:55

True, but I wish she wouldn't have to IYSWIM! She loves him but he can't speak to her, it's mentla.

Oh, but he can growl at her being a monster and that gets laughed at!

Are kids this age just a bit odd then?!

Chirpyghoul Sun 30-Sep-07 20:44:39

(sorry for mental comment- am not thinking straight)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now