Talk

Advanced search

HOW OLD WHEN THEY LOSE THERE BABY TEETH?

(34 Posts)
nappyzone Fri 28-Sep-07 20:46:52

I thought this didnt happen till they were about 7 but my dd who is 5 in 3 weeks came home tonight and said she thinks one of her bottom teeth is wobbly (not centre one but next one along), anywyay sure enough it is - she was hysterical at the thought but has calmed down now. I never thought anything else of it but my mil has made a comment to my dh of concern that perhaps its a bit early. She cut her first tooth at 6 months if this means anything. She brushes them twice a day and they look well, we dont eat sweets or drink fizzy pop but she is a thumb sucker. Am i being a worry head? We are a dentists on Monday for checkup anyway.

Niecie Fri 28-Sep-07 20:48:54

5 is about right for the bottom ones. DS lost the top ones at about 6.5 and one when he just turned 7. I know children who have lost them a lot sooner than that. One little girl has lost 4 at the top and 4 at the bottom, the new ones have grown and she is still only 7.5

Don't worry it is perfectly normal.

nappyzone Fri 28-Sep-07 20:53:54

I am worried as i cant get her to stop sucking her thumb also! She has an open bite i can see it when she bites together and i dont want the permanent ones beign damaged - i wore braces as a child and its not nice. Is it to late if her permanentr ones will come through soon or is there a gap between falling out and new ones coming through?

Niecie Fri 28-Sep-07 21:19:12

Seems to be a gap with DS. You would have thought that his teeth fell out because the new ones were just below the surface but that doesn't seem to be the case. The last one he lost was at the beginning of August and there is still no sign if the new one.

I must admit I sucked my thumb for so long that I would need one of these - blush if I told you how long and it hasn't affected my teeth. I have, over the years, heard different things from different dentists about whether thumb sucking can do damage and it seems to be mixed. I suppose it depends on how much thumb sucking there is. It might be that if she needs braces she might have needed them anyway, you just never know.

I hope she is not too scared by it all though. I don't remember being bothered about it as a child but it certainly gives me the heebies geebies to see DS wiggle his teeth so I wouldn't blame her!wink

nappyzone Fri 28-Sep-07 21:51:39

thanks - i feel slightly reassured, i never sucked my thumb sayign that and had braces so maybe its just the luck of the draw.... looking fwd to dentist visit to put me in the frame - should be great as she is scared of the dentist too!!! She said b4 bed she was excited to tell her teacher she had a wobbly tooth. She then discuseed with dad at length if he would dig through her poo to recover it if she swallowed it int her sleep!!

Niecie Sat 29-Sep-07 12:28:19

What a kind Dad - searching through poo has to be above and beyond the call of duty! Things we have to promise to keep them happy!

Rhubarb Sat 29-Sep-07 12:31:12

Depends. I think dd lost hers at around 5 or 6yo which is considered early. Some kids I know are 7 and are yet to lose one.

My dd didn't cut her first until she was 1 either so that doesn't make any difference. I think it's better if they are later then they lose their teeth otherwise their mouths are too small to cope with all the adult teeth and later on they might end up having to have some teeth pulled out to avoid overcrowding.

My dd is now 7 and has lost 8 teeth. Already she has too many adult teeth at the bottom and it looks a bit messy.

lou33 Sat 29-Sep-07 12:31:52

ds2 is 6.5 and has lost 4

LIZS Sat 29-Sep-07 12:34:52

dd lost her first 2 just before she was 6 , ds was just over 6 1/2. Both had these teeth by 5 months. Lost them comparatively later than many of their peers so I'd say anywhere between 5 and 7 is "normal". btw The dentist thoguht they were slightly loose in April but it was August before dd's came out.

Gobbledigook Sat 29-Sep-07 12:36:00

ds1 is 6.5 and hasn't lost any yet. He has one at the bottom that is wobbly and has been for a good few weeks.

Lots of the children in his class were losing them in year one though (they are in year two now).

Rhubarb Sat 29-Sep-07 12:36:47

(Can I just add their? Sorry, it's been bugging me, I'll go away now.)

Gobbledigook Sat 29-Sep-07 12:41:13

OMG Rhubarb - I was just about to post the same thing and I NEVER correct spelling/grammar mistakes (however much it makes me cringe!)

StockbreederHoundsFish Sat 29-Sep-07 12:41:57

nappyzone - you could buy your DD the Charlie & Lola Wobbly Tooth book, it's lovely and funny and reassuring!

MY DD1 had wobbly teeth approaching 5yo but they kept bedding back in and she didn't lose any until she was 5.5yo (2 bottom middles and the new ones have almost grown back now, takes months!). Several 5yo in her Rec class lost between 2/4 teeth last year.

Bizarrely, DD1 already has 4 new molars right behind the existing 2 molars. And none of her back teeth are wobbly yet - they're not supposed to come out until age 10/11. <fraek!>

LIZS Sat 29-Sep-07 12:43:43

The 4 new molars are the 6th Year ones , perfectly normal apparently

StockbreederHoundsFish Sat 29-Sep-07 12:44:29

(Can I just poke the pedants in the eye? Sorry, but correcting others spelling bugs me. I'll go away now).

Niecie Sat 29-Sep-07 12:55:45

Molars were a bit of a surprise for me too. They just slot in behind the baby ones apparently and then the baby ones get lost and replaced a lot later.

I don't know why I was surprised as children have to go from 20 to 28 teeth (before wisdom) at some point which must mean 4 new molars on the top and bottom. They seem to have the room for new ones quite early.

Rhubarb Sat 29-Sep-07 12:55:57

(Sorry, it's the teacher in me)

nappyzone Sat 29-Sep-07 14:38:11

lol - they there their - it was a firday night - need i say more!

tangarine Sat 29-Sep-07 15:02:28

Ds is almost 6 and is most upset not to have lost any yet.

MamaGotaDyson Sat 29-Sep-07 15:05:11

DD was 8 in August and hasn't lost any yet!

JulesJules Sat 29-Sep-07 15:11:33

DD1 has just lost her first baby tooth aged 5 and 4 months. She was sooo happy and excited, she said it was the best day of her life!! I think this was in anticipation of the tooth fairy's visit, possibly the best £1 I've ever spent - A real golden coin said DD2 in reverent tones while DD1 basked in the glory. Gappily. grin

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Sat 29-Sep-07 15:13:58

Rhubs and GDG you have saved me a post, it made me cringe.

nappyzone Sat 29-Sep-07 20:00:30

hmm so sorry!

Easywriter Sat 29-Sep-07 20:08:00

Strangely, I was thinking of starting a thread similar to this ( in fact I will as I don't want to annoy). We were at the dentist ths week and he said that children start to lose teeth at around 6 so everyone sounds pretty normal to me according to what he said.

Sparkletastic Sat 29-Sep-07 20:14:02

Oh lordy - my 4.5 yr old DD has just lost her 2 bottom middle teeth. V young then... Dentist had warned me they were a bit weak and he said he could tell she had trouble feeding early on hmm. This is true - BFing was a nightmare for the first month so maybe she didn't get enough calcium.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now