Talk

Advanced search

The sheer lunacy of this is making me laugh/cry alternately...

(23 Posts)
IndulgeMePlease Sat 22-Sep-07 20:20:11

DS (8m) has a virus from hell and has been ill since last Friday. He's (of course) worst at night so at best, DH and I are getting about 2 hours of broken sleep. DD1 (2 and a half) has chosen this week to decide that getting out of bed 38000 times a night at bedtime is a great idea.

I'm following Supernanny's advice - return to bed, no eye contact, no talking, as many times at it takes...but she sleeps in a bottom bunk, with a bed guard, so I am literally 'posting' her giggling, wriggling body through the narrow gap, about 45 times per night! I'm knackered, any suggestions about how to keep her in her bed? I've contemplated a staple gun...

beansprout Sat 22-Sep-07 20:21:01

Go for it.

No jury would convict.

FabulousKbear Sat 22-Sep-07 20:25:02

Wedge planks of wood between the top and bottom bunks, like a cage!

IndulgeMePlease Sat 22-Sep-07 20:27:58

She's now sitting on the landing, singing 'Old McDonald had a duck' and picking up bits off the carpet and bringing them into me to throw away. I'm trying to ignore her in the hope she'll find her way back to bed. Being grateful for small mercies...at least I won't have to hoover for a while...

bossybritches Sat 22-Sep-07 20:34:23

<snigger> littel madam

Leave her to fall asleep on the landing/ bedroom floor with any luck she'll get bored & crawl back into bed herself. TBH if she fell asleep you could throw a duvet over her & leave her there as long as you have a stairgate!!

bossybritches Sat 22-Sep-07 20:34:42

God can't spell tonight LITTLE!!

IndulgeMePlease Sat 22-Sep-07 20:36:11

She's in bed! And asleep! Just inched quietly downstairs to pour a celebratory vino when DS woke up...and so it continues.

3Ddonut Sat 22-Sep-07 20:37:45

Bless, my thoughts are with you, hope things look up for you,

bossybritches Sat 22-Sep-07 20:37:54

That's called the law of sod that is!!!

Poor IMP!

Hope tonight is calmer.

pinkspottywellies Sat 22-Sep-07 20:40:24

Sorry but ROFLOL at dd grin

I really sympathise about the whole situation but Old Macdonald and bits of carpet just made me chuckle!

IndulgeMePlease Sat 22-Sep-07 20:41:25

Awww, thanks. Now all is quiet I really should get off MN and GO TO BED.

But I'm still here.

bossybritches Sun 23-Sep-07 11:10:40

Quieter night IMP?

burstingbug Sun 23-Sep-07 11:14:40

I lost track of how many times me and DH put DS1 back into bed between 2 and 5.30 this morning DS2 woke up in between then too.

Really hope you had a good night!

bossybritches Sun 23-Sep-07 11:22:32

<passes Mr & Mrs Bug large black coffees>

Keep saying the mantra...............

" it's only a phase it will pass....it's only a phase etc etc" grin

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Sun 23-Sep-07 11:32:33

Well done IMP.

with my dd (2.11) she was a madam for a while and we decided to give her a book to read in bed, she 'reads' for a while then falls asleep.

the last time she decided to have one of these 'phases' i said id take a teddy away everytime she got out of bed (she has about 20 teddies in bed) and after 2 nights of having no teddies left, me taking her nightlight and her book, she finally got it and stopped getting out of bed. whatever works as far as im concerned!

hope tonight is good too!

melpomene Sun 23-Sep-07 11:37:19

Put a stairgate on her bedroom door.

Put her in a grobag.

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Sun 23-Sep-07 11:41:43

oh i also did the grobag thing when dd first went into bed, it was great, she couldnt go anywhere! grin

burstingbug Sun 23-Sep-07 11:43:03

DS1 mastered the grobag and walked without a problem in it shock

annoyingdevil Sun 23-Sep-07 19:53:40

Stairgate on the door. allow her to 'read' in bed. Ignore her if she gets out of the bed. This works for my little madam!

3Ddonut Sun 23-Sep-07 19:56:44

I love grobags! My dd 15months old, was proudly sans-grobag of a morning, I watched her once, lift her little legs up and reach the zipper, zipppp, and it's gone!!!Clever bugger!

Scootergrrrl Sun 23-Sep-07 19:58:47

[whispers] medised, medised grin

Roskva Sun 23-Sep-07 20:08:50

Don't get a grobag with poppers on the shoulders - dd is out of that one in minutes: she undoes the poppers by pulling up her feet inside the bag, wedging them against the bars of the cot and pushing, then wriggles out.

how about a cat net attached to the top and bottom bunks grin?

IndulgeMePlease Mon 24-Sep-07 17:24:24

Great suggestions! Tried the stairgate - the one we have on the landing doesn't fit, but I might well invest in a new one that does, I'm getting desperate.

Having said that, she wasn't too bad last night and DS appears to be on the mend, so I think life will soon settle (she prays, crosses fingers, crosses self etc). I hope so, we are starting a new youth group at my house tomorrow...could be interesting...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now