Talk

Advanced search

Can I have a virtual medal for surviving bathtime tonight - think I have aged 5 years in last hour

(11 Posts)
legalalien Sat 22-Sep-07 19:57:35

- DS (2.10 has, over the last month, developed a paranoid fear of getting water in his eyes, making the hairwashing element of bathtime a complete nightmare). Have limited hairwashing to once per week, but still results in hysterics - for whatever reason he is genuinely terrified. Anyway, have invested in goggles and bath visor, and spent last hour in lengthy process of (i) have bath, wash "other bits", (ii) get out of bath, put on goggles and visor (this at DS's request) - stage involved a lot of holding both hands, deep breathing, discussion of fact that water wouldn't go in eyes, "test" with teeny tiny amount of water (which predictably went whoosh over edge of visor and all over me), as well as lots of calm acknowledgement of DS's (quite apparent) terror; followed by (iii) DS saying he wanted to "try" standing in the bath with goggles and visor (my suggestion, idea being we don't have to tip water over, could just take baby steps); followed by (iv) we could tip a bit of water over top of head an agreed three times (no shampoo). DS visibly shaking (poor tyke), so (v) equals lots of praise for being brave / agreement that we might put the smallest amount of shampoo on tomorrow.

Just heard DS telling daddy that he has had his hair washed tonight "just like other children do" - so must be on a winner, but god it was exhausting!!!!

any suggestions for improvements to the process welcomed....

Trinityrhino Sat 22-Sep-07 20:00:09

awww bless him
well done and here's a HUGE, MAHOOSIVE medal for you
Sorry, have no idea what to do to help but BUMP and well done grin

3Ddonut Sat 22-Sep-07 20:01:11

Medal awarded, well done, I wonder what has sparked his fear?

Barcelonababe Sat 22-Sep-07 20:01:56

a medal for you.. sorry, not experience with this kind of behaviour...!

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Sat 22-Sep-07 20:02:16

<<<<< LGJ pins a medal on LA.>>>>>>

We cracked one night and just tipped a jug of water over his head. We were both blush, DS.... that is a lot quicker, again time Mummy. ( The next time)

foxinsocks Sat 22-Sep-07 20:05:06

pins medal on

does it help if I tell you it's a stage? both mine did this. I went through nights of picturing them not going near water till they were about 42 but over time, their fear went away and they are both avid swimmers now.

Think he's around the age for weird fears innit.

Hope it gets better soon.

barefeete Sat 22-Sep-07 20:11:45

I have the same problem with DS (23 months) He screams his head off. TBH I only wash his hair when i start to worry that other kids will nickname him 'smelly hair, DH isn't bothered as much about the screaming so it is a great job for him on a weekend!

If i want him to have a really quick bath hair washing is really convienient!grin

bossybritches Sat 22-Sep-07 20:36:53

<passes large glass of bubbly along with medal >

amIgoodenough Sat 29-Sep-07 10:52:05

ds is a little like this about hair washing as well, he loves his bath but will immediately ask if I will wash his hair as soon as it is mentioned and sometimes will wake in the morning saying I won't have a hair wash today will I mama? If the answer is yes, I always tell him and talk about it through the day with him giving him some suggestions of how to cope. When it actually comes to washing I use a flannel and get him to sit with his head tipped back searching for dinosaurs, frogs, penguins anything I can think of on the ceiling as I gently sponge water and shampoo on and off with the flannel. I swoop in with a towel when all is finished to ensure none goes in his eyes. The finding creatures usually works quite well especially if I keep it inventive.."Oh ds! I think I saw daddy hanging from the light, was it can you see him?" He has just gone 3.

law3 Sat 29-Sep-07 15:27:22

my 3.6 has never liked having his hair washed, not quite to the point of terror though.

I usually say, once we have washed your hair, we are going to go downstairs and play......... so lets get your hair washed and then we can do it etc.

law3 Sat 29-Sep-07 15:29:32

oh just thought, he also has a bath with me and helps to wash my hair and when the water goes in my face i show him how to blow and breathe, as i think its the feeling of not been able to breathe when water goes into his face that bothers him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now