Talk

Advanced search

Should I be worried about a 13month old who doesn't crawl, shuffle or pull himself up...

(5 Posts)
minko Fri 21-Sep-07 20:39:09

He's a very chilled out baby and he seems to have no determination to get going. His sister was slow (walked at 17 mths) but she was bottom shuffling round by this stage!

Also when I hold him up by his hands he doesn't step forward at all, just stands rooted to the spot even if you tip him forward a bit!

He's very heavy, tall and has a big head (sounds great, poor DS!) - all reasons that might be slowing him down, but I'm starting to worry a bit now.

Of sourse I'm getting lots of unhelpful comments from other mums but when should I see someone about all this??

Fizzylemonade Fri 21-Sep-07 20:57:15

2nd children usually have things brought to them by older siblings (I had a very helpful ds1 for ds2) if you put toys out of reach what would happen? Or do you always put stuff within his reach? I would make sure the tv is off so no distractions and dot some toys around.

All babies are different, if he doesn't seem to want to go towards anything that is not in reach then I would think you need to talk to your HV or GP.

My friends little girl didn't start moving around until she was 14 months because her older sister brought everything to her!!!

mm22bys Fri 21-Sep-07 21:30:51

Hi, my DS2 is 10 months and is not doing very much. With physio, he can sit now, and scoots around by wriggling on his back, but doesn't do very much (it's depressing when I take him to groups and the other babies are doing so much - when it was me with DS1 I resented THAT, now I so wish it was DS2!).

DS2 is now being "assesed", and hopefully we'll get some NHS-funded therapy, so if you are at all worried, see your HV / GP, and if they think it's necessary hopefully they will refer you (it was obvious to all for a while DS2 needed some help and we're only being assessed now).

(Oh, DS2 is small for his age! Small head, between 2nd and 9th percentile as of today, so different to your DS!)

All the best,

Lolcats Fri 21-Sep-07 22:40:53

Hi - dd (19mo now) didn't crawl until 15 1/2 months. Walked 1 week later, never crawled since. We were told not to worry until 18 months (that was with NO movement by then).
She still can't sit up from lying... unless she flips onto her tummy and pushes up to toes.

NannyL Sat 22-Sep-07 10:13:23

my little cahrge was like that

by 20 montsh she was running as fast as all her peers though!

dont worry yet!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: