ASD in infants - what were your signs?

(10 Posts)
Okeeffe Sat 30-May-20 12:09:27

DS is 11 months and after a phone call with the health visitor she's sparked some concerns.

These are the things she highlighted could be an issue

• Doesn't point, wave or clap
• Doesn't imitate sounds or actions
• Doesn't always respond to his name when focused
• Generally makes good eye contact but will sometimes actively avoid it
• Bites us a lot
• Babbles on his own accord but doesn't repeat sounds back to us, even ones we know we can make

He doesn't seem interested in TV, singing, likes the "that's not my books" or books with flaps, loves turning pages. He can sit, stand and cruise but not walk. He's really good at climbing and is very active. He will follow a point from me, does sometimes look when we call his name but often ignores, does generally make good eye contact but sometimes actively ignores and looks away. Will follow instructions such as come here but usually gets distracted halfway. Babbles lots but only dada, baba and gaga sounds. He bites and pulls our hair a lot.

OP’s posts: |
Okeeffe Sat 30-May-20 12:25:22

He also doesn't bring me toys, ever. Will take them off me and give them to me on request.

He doesn't head bang often, but does sometimes when sat right up against wall will gently hit his head back repeatedly. Not often.

Okeeffe Sat 30-May-20 12:36:42

Anyone?

mishimab Sat 30-May-20 14:15:29

Following. My almost 11months old DD is exactly the same. Does not clap, point, wave or imitate. Loves turning pages too!!

Okeeffe Sat 30-May-20 18:33:42

@mishimab Is she quite active? Crawling/cruising/walking lots?

mishimab Sun 31-May-20 04:30:36

She is medium active smile she can crawl and pull to stand up. Nowadays she likes to stand up holding onto her chair.
Yesterday evening she clapped the first time. It was out of nowhere! Today morning we wake up and i asked her to clap, but it seems like she already forgotten how to do it. Then during the lunch she suddenly clapped again, which made me very happy. Hope other gestures will come soon.

Cdl84 Sun 31-May-20 07:24:02

I'm following this as have concerns about my 9.5 month old. He seems to rarely make eye contact, smiles but not very often, only laughs with being tickled and occasionally if we make funny noises. He did babble at 6-8 months but has mostly been squealing, grunting and shouting rather than babbling recently. He just wants to chew toys. He occasionally responds to his name but might just be coincidental as we call him a lot. He doesn't seem to really enjoy singing unless the actions involve throwing him around. He does clap, but doesn't imitate noises or anything else. He sat up late (8 months), only rolled from back to front at just before 9 months, isn't crawling yet, can't pull to stand. He also makes movements with his hands like rapid opening and closing when eating or excited. Im sure there's something wrong but not sure if there's anything I can do about it yet as I think i will be told just to wait and see how he develops. I will discuss this all with health visitor at his review in 1 month. Anyone with similar experience?

bbb2019 Sun 31-May-20 08:42:12

This is my son all over. Literally to a tea. I haven’t heard from my health visitor yet for a review. Hope things are ok with you son.

123Dancewithme Sun 31-May-20 12:49:08

To be honest, he sounds fine to me. 11 months is still quite early to not be doing some of those things. My DS didn’t bring or show me things until 13 months and didn’t point or wave until he was 16 months. He’s 23 months now and I have no worries about his communication.

jellyfish1982 Sun 31-May-20 15:02:48

11 months is far far to early to be worrying about asd.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in