Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a 4 year old boy?

(13 Posts)
StrawberryMartini Fri 21-Sep-07 11:40:30

As I've just acquired two of them! (I'm a childminder wink).

A few questions!

How often do they need to go to the toilet? Both of them have issues with asking to go, so I am continually asking them which is probably making matters worse - one of them has already wet himself.

When you go out, what do you take for them to drink from? Stupid question probably but they are obviously too old for beakers - do I take a couple of cups and a bottle of water? Neither of them are taking more than a couple of sips a day - any tips for making them drink more?

They won't sit still for a minute - no matter what amazing activity I have planned for them! It's 5 minutes max before they are bored. Are they playing me up or is this normal?!

Any wonderful tips for occupying them gratefully received - one's very sporty while the other prefers crafty things - but again only for a few minutes at a time!

TIA!

InMyHumbleOpinion Fri 21-Sep-07 11:44:13

1 - make them go before you leave the house, and after meals
2 - Sports bottles - can be carried and are non spill, and not 'babyish'
3 - normal. Expect this to be worse if they are together. Ask the parents for wellies, coats and thick jumperts and let them in the garden.

Playdoh, books, small cars, small plastic dinosaurs etc very popular.

Kammy Fri 21-Sep-07 11:51:06

Sounds normal for boys!
I used to look after a friends 4yo with my son after nursery a couple of days a week. I found going outside absolutely vital! In the summer I used to built assault courses in the garden, get big cardboard boxes and turn them into rockets/castles etc. Inside we did the same, building dens. They loved cooking (!) and crafts like building things -robots, castles. Lego by the boxfull also kept them going for at least 1/2 hour at a time too.
Good luck

bozza Fri 21-Sep-07 11:52:05

Agree with inmyhumbleopinion - sports bottles definitely the best option at this age. What sort of activities are you planning for them?

FioFio Fri 21-Sep-07 11:55:29

Message withdrawn

IdrisTheDragon Fri 21-Sep-07 11:56:56

I've got an almost 4 year old boy smile.

DS has the bladder capacity of a small ox. he can manage to go for hours and hours without needing to go to the toilet. I probably suggest it when we go somewhere, but really he is pretty self-regulating.

When we go out he drinks from a glass. If we are at a cafe he often has a straw.

He will play for ages with small cars, or trainset. He also loves playing outside, preferably climbing smile.

Marina Fri 21-Sep-07 11:59:53

I used to have one but now he is 8, ah, I remember these days well grin
Agree with all the others - sports bottles are the way to go.
And don't get me started on their attention spans...hmm...or their need to tear themselves away from their Power Ranger games to visit the loo.
Lego might be popular with both, as it can be as crafty or not, as you like.
Definitely run the legs off them in the park - and get a football if you haven't got one already.
If your garden can withstand the inevitable carnage, small sized space hoppers are a big hit too...

casbie Fri 21-Sep-07 12:07:30

my son is can tell when he needs the loo, but still sometimes (rarely - fingers crossed) has an accident.

water bottles are best, he uses a glass at the table and we all use plastic cups in the garden.

he needs to do something 'active' at least once a day. ROLF reference to dogs, because that's exactly it. where as girls will sit and listen and play (i have two), the boys want to climb trees, play on the swing, build a den etc

indoors for boys: trainset, music cd's to dance to, blankets and towels to make dens etc

outdoors for boys: trampolines, swings, trip to the park, bug collectors etc

i hope you don't think i'm sexist, becuase my girls do the same, but they don't seem to 'have to' IFYKWIM

LizaRose Fri 21-Sep-07 12:09:25

Do not ASK them if they need the loo, TELL them it is time to go, and insist they do at least a dribble. This works for me!

jura Fri 21-Sep-07 12:12:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

choosyfloosy Fri 21-Sep-07 12:16:12

Idris, we have a twin.

Don't arrange outside time - just have them outside, and arrange occasional inside time!

casbie Fri 21-Sep-07 12:26:53

depending on how you feel about your bathroom, a sink (bowlfull) full of water and a few plastic cups, amybe making boats etc, and they'll be playing for ....

oooh at least 1/2 an hour!

IdrisTheDragon Fri 21-Sep-07 13:43:58

DS really does have an amazing bladder. Went to the toilet about 7pm last night. We all woke up a bit late this morning and managed to forget about him potentially needing a wee before he went to pre-school at 9:15.

Presume he went there grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now