My almost 2 year olds speech

(5 Posts)
blissfullyignorantorinpain Thu 21-May-20 18:02:27

Hi just wanted some advice as I am very worried. My son is almost 2 and only says a handful of words. Doesn't put 2 words together ever and gets quite frustrated when I try to tell him to talk. He makes the same sound when I tell him to say something for example if I say 1 he'll say ga. I wasn't worried until a couple of days ago and now I can't stop worrying. I don't know why he's not saying many words and as he's my first I have nothing to compare him to. He seems a happy child and is quite vocal with babbling and whinging etc.

OP’s posts: |
BackforGood Thu 21-May-20 23:19:03

Have a look at the Talking Point Website

There's lots of information on there, and you can book an appointment with a SaLT (Speech and Language Therapist) for a phone call of up to 30mins.

Also, it is worth contacting your local authority. During this time of everyone staying at home, our Authority have set up advice lines with all their therapists - you might be able to get some advice directly from them.

blissfullyignorantorinpain Fri 22-May-20 00:49:08

Oh thank you for this @BackforGood

sauvignonblancplz Fri 22-May-20 09:06:29

Are you in the UK? Do you have any other concerns about his development or behaviour?
My own child isn’t a Chatty Cathy either I think has about 45 words but the rest of his development is on track so I’m not worrying at all. It’s important to see the big picture.
I have another child who just garbled until they 3 and haven’t been able to shut him up and another who chatted confidently from a very early age.
Try not to worry, but definitely look at the rest of his development.

blissfullyignorantorinpain Fri 22-May-20 16:42:47

@sauvignonblancplz yes I'm in the UK. He is on track for other things and I've never been worried about anything until now. He's developing in every other way apart from speech. Thank you for your advice.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in