Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Besides smashing heads together.....What can I do to stop ds1 and ds2 from playing at the top of the stairs....

(5 Posts)
KerryMum Tue 18-Sep-07 21:03:14

before one of them goes tumbling and is either crippled for life or dead!

The top of the stairs is like a T junction. Window at top, small landing, go left or right. For some reason the two of them (4.11 and 8.10 have taken to playing up there a lot lately. Roughhousing types of stuff. Or one of them will be sprawled out on the top of the stairs doing something and won't move when the other comes up.

I've tried reasoning about the danger, punishments, shouting, etc.

Nothing is working.

Don't want to do gate because of their age think it would be even more dangerous.

Rhubarb Tue 18-Sep-07 21:05:00

Hmm, mine do this. It's taken a few near misses to get them to move further away from the top but they still race up the stairs, do funny walks down the stairs, play halfway up etc.

I remember doing this as a kid too. I think at that age you just have to trust them to be aware of the dangers.

KerryMum Tue 18-Sep-07 21:07:20

Rhub - tonight AGAIN ds1 almost send ds2 flying down the stairs. Even xdh who was doing his usual minding them by staring out the window shouted at him.

Rhubarb Tue 18-Sep-07 21:09:42

Well, I don't see how a gate at the top of the stairs can be any more dangerous.

Or...read the newspaper and pretend to read about a child who was playing with a sibling on the stairs and fell down them seriously injuring themselves. Ok, it's a fib, but if it makes them think, perhaps?

KerryMum Wed 19-Sep-07 10:09:40

?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now