Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

please help before hubby goes mad

(21 Posts)
hansnava Tue 18-Sep-07 08:19:18

can anyone give me any tips on how to get my 2.5 dd to say dad. dont get me wrong she can say it, she just flatly refuses too. it drives dh mad and i think it might upset him a bit. you can sit down with her and go through everyones name and she will say it (even her three day old cousins) but come to dad and she says his real name instead.
i cant hold her down and force her to say but would really like some tips on what to do.
please advice anyone.sad

belgo Tue 18-Sep-07 08:21:47

sounds like she's picked up on the drama she causes when she doesn't say it - it has been hugely blown out of proportion.

In the nicest possible way, back off and she will say it when she's readysmile

InMyHumbleOpinion Tue 18-Sep-07 08:22:53

She won't say it while you are trying to get her to, she will say it when she wants his attention for someting

moondog Tue 18-Sep-07 08:23:22

Leave her alone.
Very weird and damaging behaviour.
She will say it when ready.
I am a speech and language therapist if it will help sway you.

oops Tue 18-Sep-07 08:26:21

Message withdrawn

elesbells Tue 18-Sep-07 08:28:54

why does it drive dh mad? i dont get it?

she is a 2year old, not a performing monkey.

let her do it in her own time.

EHM Tue 18-Sep-07 08:34:35

my dd rarely says 'muma' its always 'dada' but i dont stress. she knows who i am & hopefully that i love her thats whats important to me

bubblagirl Tue 18-Sep-07 08:42:35

maybe you can start callinh him dad as she hears you call him his real name and they make a game of it its nothing for him to get upset about but i guess its nice for your lttle girl to say dad but forcing her will probably stop her saying it anyway just say ask dad od dad can you do this for dd she will do it but probably likes the attention from not saying it ignore it and then she wont be recieving the attention she'll; soon get bored

hansnava Tue 18-Sep-07 10:16:00

wow. most of u seem to have got completly the wrong end of the stick.

*for one i dont think my daughter is in any way a performing monkey.*angry

i didnt mean my ? to sound like i sit a force my child to say it coz i dont. i dont sit there saying "say dad, say dad" all day. she likes to go through everyones names but when it comes to dad she always say his real name. the same as when i go through word books with her seeing if she can say them like ball and cat, which i must be mistaken for thinking that trying to help my daughters speach was a good thing to do because moondog seems to think its damaging behaviour. shock
its not made into a big thing with us badgering her to say it at all.
i just wanted some advice on why she suddenly started to call him by his first name, even when asking him to get her something.

Dropdeadfred Tue 18-Sep-07 10:29:05

its confusing for children, they hear parents calling eachother by their names then have to remember that they call them something else...hmm

hansnava Tue 18-Sep-07 10:36:58

hello dropdeadfred
we do make sure we call each other mum and dad around her since she started calling him by first name. which has been about 6-7 months now lol.smile

law3 Tue 18-Sep-07 10:42:53

hi Han, my son went through a stage of calling all men dad, so your dh should think himself lucky really!!!!!!!

itwasntme Tue 18-Sep-07 10:49:35

My dd often calls dh and I by our real names.

We've always found it quite funny tbh and have never commented.

But then she also calls me Mum, Mummy, Mama, and dh Dad, Daddy, Papa or Papi.

She's really young. Just ignore it, she'll go back to calling him Dad in her own time.

hansnava Tue 18-Sep-07 11:12:02

thats what i have said to him the its a phase and she will grow out of it and i totally agree it is quite funny he just gets frustrated that she calls everyone but him by their names or how they r known if that makes sense lol.

Lolcats Tue 18-Sep-07 13:40:27

My dd never said dada or dad.
My MIL used 'Papa' with her (he's french btw) and she started saying that immediately.
Maybe the phoneme (?) is too hard for her?
Maybe he could have a special Daddy name just for her to use which would be lovely

Wags Tue 18-Sep-07 15:49:39

My son is 2.5 and doesn't say loads and says very few 2 words together. The one thing I have been told not to do is ask him questions all the time or ask him to say things. I have to give him choices, i.e. if I know he wants a banana I ask him if he wants an apple or a banana, preferably saying the thing you think he wants last so he will say banana. I was trying to get him to say words 'DS can you say ball' things like that. Told to stop it, just watch what he is doing and talk to him, i.e. thats a nice ball DS, shall we throw the ball and so on. So I guess if you just call your DH Daddy, i.e. 'oh look what Daddy has got' 'Daddy has got your ball' blah blah blah that might help. Mine still calls me Mah shouted really loudly, so I wouldn't worry, it will come in time. By the way I am no expert so will be gladly put right if this information isn't of any use smile

lucyellensmum Tue 18-Sep-07 16:04:27

wags, that is a great post, and exactly what i was about to post regarding what to do as that is the advice i was given regarding dds speech who is about at the stage your ds is at.

hans - i think it is amazing that your little girl can say so many names, and that she says her daddy's real name instead of dad is perfectly normal behaviour. I called my parents by their first names right up until i started school.

Tell DH to get overhimself and that she will say it when she is ready, he may just have a long wait. My dd is really cute, i always say to her - who do you love the best? She says daddy, without fail, we make it into a game, i so no no you love mummy the best, she laughs her little head off. Am i bothered? not in the slightest because i know she loves me.

Meeely2 Tue 18-Sep-07 16:07:48

if i ask my Dt's who loves mummy they say each others names!

tarantula Tue 18-Sep-07 16:12:37

If you call him Daddy all the time then I'd say she a pretty clever little girl to have worked out his real name and its now become a bit of a game with her not to call him daddy. Bet it gets her lots of attention too. They are pretty cute on things liek that at 2.

hansnava Wed 19-Sep-07 17:45:15

can u believe it she called him daddy this morningshock

Lolcats Thu 20-Sep-07 13:14:40

Yay!
Great news Hansnava! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now