Talk

Advanced search

Please help, introverted baby or signs of autism(6month)??

(5 Posts)
KataNagy Wed 06-May-20 17:24:58

I so worry... 😔
I am a first time mom and I’d like to hear about your experience in a specific issue. My son is 6 month old,
I noticed that he doesn't make eye contact or very he does it poorly. He smiles back when i smile but not always. He smiles when I make silly faces or when I make funny noises but doesn't look in my eyes. He is watching my mouth every time instead. He laughs but just when I tickle him or when I suddenly enter his room and scare him with funny noises. He loves when I kiss his lips or his body. He loves to be held. He make sounds but not in response to my attempt to connect but rather on his own. He is fascinated by lights, textures and he smiles when he notices little details like a zipper on a t-shirt. He turns his head toward sounds - to an extent, that sometimes I even have a hard time feeding him. I feel that he is not really trying to get in touch with me, or at least he is not that keen on doing this. When I sit next to him he doesn't look at me or tries to "say" something to me. Is it possible that he is just an introvert baby or are these early signs of autism?

Thank you so much for your comments!🙏

OP’s posts: |
123Dancewithme Wed 06-May-20 23:23:39

He sounds fine to me. I think 6 months is too early to worry.

KataNagy Thu 07-May-20 06:10:36

Thank you!smile
I try not to worry but the lack of eye contact is very heartbreaking for me. 😔

Rosebell100 Thu 07-May-20 12:07:47

I had a very similar worry at 6 months, by baby didn't seem to make much eye contact, always busy looking at other things, really struggled to interact directly with him. I was convinced he was autistic. He's 11 months old now, and he's really good a facial cues, and he initiates peek-a-boo with us. He will look over to us when he's doings something he knows he shouldn't do and laugh if we pull an unimpressed face. He still doesn't wave or point, which some people do say are signs of autism if they don't do it around 12 months, but really they are all so different, and based on how he interacts now I'm no longer worried at all. So don't fret just yet, see how he is in 4 or 5 months time, you are most likely just over worrying, I was too. But importantly 6 months is just way too soon to see autism signs, you will miss interpret normal 6 month baby stuff for autism.

KataNagy Thu 07-May-20 14:03:19

Thank you so much for your comment. This is very reassuring! 🙂Yes, probably I overthinking it. I hope that everything will be fine with him.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in