Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

has anyone used a reward chart for potty training and did it work

(13 Posts)
starshaker Mon 17-Sep-07 17:18:31

ive been trying to potty train dd (2) ad she is just not interested in the slightest. looking for advise cos ive tried everything. has any1 used the chart and had sucess or do u think at 2 she is too young to grasp the concept

RubberDuck Mon 17-Sep-07 17:23:25

I would say if she's not getting it within a set time (say... a week?) then it doesn't hurt to leave it for a few months then try again when she is showing interest.

FWIW, ds2 finally got trained (second attempt - first attempt was at 2.5 and he "got" the wees, just not poos and it got too stressful for all of us) at just over 3 years old (although I understand that boys can be slower!) and sticker chart has really helped him make the effort to get to the toilet in time once he already knew what he was doing - before then he couldn't give a toss whether he got a sticker or not

dissle Mon 17-Sep-07 17:24:19

i did use stickers,and a chart, but would honestly stop and try again in a month or so. Sounds like she isnt ready.

was she showing signs of bieng ready?

starshaker Mon 17-Sep-07 17:26:25

when i go to the toilet she says clever mummy do peepees then claps her hands. when she has a nappy on and is doing a pee she makes the pssssssss noise

Lakota Mon 17-Sep-07 17:30:19

My DS is 2yrs 6months and has just filled his second star chart and had a treat from the toyshop for doing so. He really seems to have got the idea quite quickly this time (started about 3 weeks ago), whereas when I first tried back in May/June he wasn't really interested.

Wees were most successful, then gold stars for poos (at first he wasn't keen, and constipated himself a bit). We used the star chart that comes with 'My potty book for boys' and I can recommend it (They do a girls version too, in pink).

My other advice is not to bother with pull-ups but go straight to pants/knickers - ok there's more tidying up initially, but I think my DS just saw pull-ups as nappies, and had no inclination not to wee in them! Also, unless you are constantly checking them, you can't actually tell. Once they've got the hang of it, pull-ups are handy for trips to town/friends houses with new carpet etc though!

If she's not getting it yet though, don't worry. You can keep reading the story and put the potty away for a few months. Good luck!

NAB3 Mon 17-Sep-07 17:35:20

I did with my son. He got a sticker and a chocolate button for every wee. At the end of the chart I stuck a picture of some binoculars. His treat for filling the chart. We didn't do it for long as he was getting far too much chocolate and he knew what to do!

TheGoddessBlossom Mon 17-Sep-07 19:15:50

I painted an enormous chart with days of the week on it, Daddy in one corner, Mummy in another, him in another and baby brother in the 4th with a balloon saying "Go on Harry you can do it!" grin

An artist I am not, but he loved it and we used the stickers from the CBeebies magazine. I also used choccie buttons. He was just 2 when we started in September and he was dry day and night by Christmas. Possibly a fluke, we'll see with his brother... grin

bubblagirl Mon 17-Sep-07 19:20:40

i used a smiley face chart at this age when sat on it my ds would get a smiley face and i'd say good try next time we'll wee wee and get another smiley face he took to it really well and was taking himself within a few days but all children are different and will do it in there own time when they are ready

gooseegg Mon 17-Sep-07 19:27:12

www.rewardboard.co.uk/catalogue/product_info.php?cPath=23_2131&products_id=30&osCsid=e1afeacbb260fa8 f4c2c354f945f04ee

I have had lots of successes with this graphic sticker chart.

kitbit Mon 17-Sep-07 19:58:16

We did a chart with ds who was 2 and a half at the time. He ahs 6 letters in his name (I know he can't read them, but he seemed to enjoy me telling him it wad his name on!) and I downloaded 6 pics of Thomas trains from the web and put one alongside each letter. Then put it on the wall.
To get him to sit on the potty I filled him full of drink then sat him on it and blew bubbles. At first he got a sticker on the chart for sitting still for a few mins. After 2 or 3 stars we happened to coincide sitting down with having a pee, and he got another sticker. The first 6 I gave really easily to give him to idea and after 6 he got a little wrapped up pressie (bought a multi pack of mini playdohs from Woolies). He was thrilled and got the idea. At first we'd go and sit there every hour or so then gradually he was asking to go.

Poos the same, I picked a time when he was being pretty regular and if I spotted him standing still and getting ready to do one, I'd whisk him to the bathroom and he'd do it on the potty, then get a pressie.

Over a couple of weeks he'd forget to ask for a sticker so I'd leave it, and after a fortnight or so he'd soft of forgotten about the pressies for wees, and we'd progressed to a pressie every 6 poos. Then he forgot those too.
Sorry, bit long, but wanted to help! Good luck, but don't worry if she's not getting it or not ready, 2 is still early, plenty of time!

MaryBleedinPoppins Mon 17-Sep-07 19:59:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nell12 Mon 17-Sep-07 20:11:54

Reward charts do work but only if your dd is ready to potty train.

You dont stand much of a chance with any reward system if she is not ready yet.

inamuckingfuddle Mon 17-Sep-07 20:29:05

yes we did with DTs, only for a couple of days, plus choc buttons also having one twin who got the hang of it quickly helped spur the other one on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now