Talk

Advanced search

3yo deliberate ‘naughty’ behaviour

(4 Posts)
Bubbinsmakesthree Fri 01-May-20 16:31:00

So it’s fairly obvious why this happening... DS (recently 3) used to go to nursery full time, but since lockdown has been stuck in the house almost all the time. I’m juggling full time job, home school for older sibling and have been ill and run down for the whole period. Also he’s three, after all.

His behaviour is getting really bad - Uncooperative and stroppy and increasing amounts of deliberately being ‘naughty’ - in last few days he has scribbled on walls, thrown a cup full of water across the room, thrown his clothes in the toilet to avoid getting dressed, tipping up a game we are playing...plus loads of deliberate disobedience- I’ll ask him to sit at the table and instead he’ll stand on his chair and jump up and down, that kind of thing.

I know it’s largely attention seeking and reaction to the situation but I just don’t know how to try to get it under control.

OP’s posts: |
Bubbinsmakesthree Sat 02-May-20 17:51:19

Hopeful bump, after another bad day sad

tempnamechange98765 Sat 02-May-20 18:10:26

Sorry OP, didn't want to not reply. I have to say 3 was the worst age for my DS, who had previously been a sweet toddler.

Have you read How To Talk So Little Kids Will Listen? It's such a good book. Time outs etc never really worked with my DS, he would hate it but the behaviour never stopped. The only other advice I can give other than to read the book is ignore bad behaviour where possible (hard to ignore drawing on walls I know) and praise good. Reward charts etc. If it's behaviour you can't ignore, a firm NO, and turn your attention to something else. If he can't resist drawing on walls, he isn't allowed pens and crayons. If he makes a mess from throwing a drink, he has to help clear it up.

Bubbinsmakesthree Sat 02-May-20 18:27:04

Thanks for reply! I remember 3 being tough with my eldest in terms of being uncooperative and throwing tantrums but he never really did the kind of deliberate ‘naughtiness’ that I am getting now.

I’ve tried ignoring him if he’s deliberately attention seeking but he just escalates the behaviour until I have to intervene (eg because it’s dangerous or he’s damaging something)

I’ve tried taking him out of the room for time outs to little avail so far (partly because he treats it like a joke and runs away from me instead).

I realise that the juggling everything situation we’re in means that if he’s playing nicely I’ll tend to ignore him, so I am ending up ‘rewarding’ bad behaviour with attention. I’m trying to give him focused 1-1 time where I can but it’s tough at the moment.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in