Nearly 5 years old and suddenly become violent.

(3 Posts)
Godotsarrived Fri 17-Apr-20 20:07:41

My DS is 4years 8months old and has over the last few months become very very hard to deal with. He is a sweetheart about 70% of the time but he has horrendous violent tantrums when he doesn’t get his own way. He hits me so hard that it leaves bruises. He has also started soiling himself and then denying it. He gets really upset when you tell him he needs changed. Cue the violence.

Not to drop feed he has had a rocky year. Started school just after his 4th birthday and didn’t settle. The school we picked was a small village school that none of his nursery friends went to. We picked it because the local primary is huge and we were worried about him being so young. He was terribly unhappy & we believe was bullied.In Feb we made the decision to move him to that bigger primary school. He settled in really well and caught up with some if his nursery friends. All was good - then the close down came. Since then he has been horrible. As I say defiant, rude, hits me and refuses to go to bed. When I am being rational I look back over the last 8 to 10 months and think that he has been through it a bit and this is how he is dealing with it. At other times I think he is going to end up a thuggish brute who uses violence to get his own way. I am thinking of getting him assessed by a child psychologist but is that an over reaction? I don’t know. He is an only child.

OP’s posts: |
NuffSaidSam Fri 17-Apr-20 22:14:29

How do you deal with it when he has a tantrum like this?

Godotsarrived Sat 18-Apr-20 08:15:50

At first I tried to reason with him or use time out; that just made him worse. So now when he starts hitting me I remove myself from him. The violence escalates if I stay near him and don’t give in to him. I never allow him to get his own way because I don’t want him to think that he can use his fists to get what he wants.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in