Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Heuristic Play

(15 Posts)
BabiesEverywhere Wed 12-Sep-07 23:49:12

Just back from the shops and for the princely sum of £30 I came home with the following things :-

Sets of things each in a drawstring bag (x 4)
: 72 Wooden Dolly Pegs
: 45 small square Bricks
: 27 Rubber Tennis Balls
: 20 Twine Ball things

Containers
: Three Wicker Wastebaskets
: Three Posh Cream Plastic Medium Size Crates
: Three very cheap clear small boxes with lids

Misc Odd Stuff
: Small Bamboo Bowl
: Cream Plastic upright cutlery container
: Blue Desk Tidy with long shallow indentations in it.
: Small Metal Cat Bowl with rubber edging
: Pink Metal CD Rack
: Set of four leather coasters

And why did I do that, what are they for I hear you ask....Heuristic Play I reply

DD has always been attached to odd things, in fact her favourite toy at the moment is a set of 35 dolly pegs in a plastic pencil case.

We recently arrived at our local parent group and when I unwrapped my DD from my back, realized she still clutching the wooden curtain rings she was playing with a home. I thought she had dropped them on the floor when I picked her up.

Last week we came home with a (paid for) wooden pastry brush from Tescos and this has kept her quiet for weeks !!!

But I discovered I am not a lapse mum, I'm doing heuristic play.....apparently. So I bought a book about it called 'Developing Play for the Under 3's' by Anita M Hughes and read up on the proper way to do it.

There are two main ideas in this book, Treasure Baskets are for younger babies and heuristic play with multiple objects is for older children, my daughter falls in the middle age wise however she should get things out of each type of play.

The Treasure Basket, needs a suitable basket (Duhh) and 80 to 100 carefully selected objects, which will take a while to collect but I do intend to have a go.

Where as the multiple object Heuristic play, involves giving the child access to several different types of 'sets' , 'containers' and 'misc' items and allow them to play without adult interference but with supervision. Each set should be around 50 items, so a couple of my 'sets' are low but I want to see how my DD reacts to these objects before going mad spending more money.

I hope she enjoys them, as I have plans to buy, feathers, jar lids, sets of keys, curtain rings and mug trees and tubes and rubber coasters and so many other things.

I'll can not wait until we have time to sit down to play with these new stuff, I hope she likes them ;)

ProjectIcarusinhercar Wed 12-Sep-07 23:57:32

hmmmmm. DD2 loves stuff like this.

As someone who hates shopping and finds it v stressful with the two kids can you tell me where you got your stuff?

Thanks

BabiesEverywhere Thu 13-Sep-07 07:56:33

Tesco and Asda (mainly Tesco) and I made the trip on my own in the evening when DD was asleep in bed beng looked after by DH.

I have plans to visit the local hardware shop for curtain rings and maybe a fabric shop for ribbons and buttons

HTH

PrettyCandles Thu 13-Sep-07 08:00:37

I didn't know I was doing heuristic play. When we went on holiday I filled a tupperware box with a mixture of objects and it kept 10m ds2 oxxupied wonderfully whenever we let him at it.

It seems an obvious thing to do - I didn't know it had a posh name!

Twiglett Thu 13-Sep-07 08:01:47

they're called 'wnacky baskets' on here .. see franny

BumblebeeQueen Thu 13-Sep-07 12:26:14

Hello BabiesEverywhere -

That sounds like an interesting book. Would you recommend getting it?
We're already doing Treasure Baskets, but I wouldn't mind finding out a bit more about this sort of play.
Thanks!

StealthPolarBear Thu 13-Sep-07 12:34:03

getting on this thread before i have to dash off
will read soon

mumtodd Thu 13-Sep-07 12:38:33

It is an interesting idea. I had never heard of it before mumsnet but when I watch my dd playing I see that she loves to play with anything that is not a toy - she loves fruit and has recently been playing a lot with 2 oranges in a sieve. She had loads of fun with a mango and a leek - I think she invented a new sport with those lol! She also really loves a beaded belt that her granny gave her - very safe with big beads threaded on to suede srtips. I think babies instinctively do this type of play and I am defintely interested in learning more about it.

mumtodd Thu 13-Sep-07 12:38:34

It is an interesting idea. I had never heard of it before mumsnet but when I watch my dd playing I see that she loves to play with anything that is not a toy - she loves fruit and has recently been playing a lot with 2 oranges in a sieve. She had loads of fun with a mango and a leek - I think she invented a new sport with those lol! She also really loves a beaded belt that her granny gave her - very safe with big beads threaded on to suede srtips. I think babies instinctively do this type of play and I am defintely interested in learning more about it.

snoozer Thu 13-Sep-07 14:10:42

Babies -- was just reading a bit on internet about "heuristic play". I saw something that said there should be access to large quantities of items when there are groups of children playing together to prevent any one child from feeling that they have to "protect" the items they are interested in. I wonder if an individual child really needs hundreds of items...I just mention it to potentially save you money and space!

ruddynorah Thu 13-Sep-07 14:13:28

ikea is good for treasure basket bits and bobs.

llynnnn Thu 13-Sep-07 15:19:29

I'm really interested in this. my dd plays with the coasters and placemats for ages!
I just dont really know where to start with it. Hope you dont mind babies everywhere I may pinch your list to get me going.
my dd is 13months, would she fit best into the treasure baskets side or the multiple objects?
any other hints and tips about the best things to collect and where from?

thanks

funnypeculiar Thu 13-Sep-07 15:23:27

Wilkinsons is good for stuff too. Eg big curtainrings, little metal whisks, measuring spoons, pastry cutters, bath plugs/chain.
Anyone who's interested should request F&Zs excellent treatise "The Document" which is a fab intro to the whole thing

<<dumps F&Z under another large pile of emails and runs off to hide>>

lucyellensmum Thu 13-Sep-07 15:29:30

This sounds really interesting, how does it work? What is the reasoning behind, it, i mean, it seems to make perfect sense, but im not sure why Where can i get me a book about this? It seems a bit faddy but i can't be doing with anymore fisher price plastic - i think this could have legs

lucyellensmum Thu 13-Sep-07 15:30:15

oh and my dd is 2.2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now