Teaching toddler to read?

(7 Posts)
Toomuchtooyoung01 Fri 03-Apr-20 12:46:03

Ok I'm writing this here rather than asking friends with toddlers the same age as mine (2yrs 10 mobths) specifically as I really don't want it to come across as wanky and braggy or competitive parenting or anything like that, I'm genuinely not like that, and also I know you'll give me a decent answer 😂
Ok so I've been quietly teaching DD who is 2yrs 10months phonics at home for a few weeks and she's picking it up really well, which is great. She's not at nursery yet but before everything closed we had picked one and put her name on the waiting list.
I was just reading a thread online which says if you teach your child to read before they start school, they will be bored and potentially act up a bit. I thought it was a positive thing to encourage your child to learn the best you could, but now I'm thinking should I hold off on this phonics/learning to read business in case it affects her behaviour when she starts school???
What are other peoples experience of this?

OP’s posts: |
Jannt86 Fri 03-Apr-20 16:56:25

No experience but I'm planning to teach my just 2YO without pushing too much. She already knows a lot of her letters but going to wait til she's truly confident with these and pronouncing them before starting any kind of phonics work. Maybe she will get a little bored but confidence reading is one of the biggest predictors of academic performance so I say go for it! You can never be too ahead

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 04-Apr-20 12:21:45

I could read at 3 and exactly that happened to me. I effectively switched off in lessons because I was so bored and it took ages to recover.

I would seriously stop teaching her to read, leave it to the teachers.

Read to her by all means, play games with her but I'd really not teach her to read.

We did things like baking, using outdoor chalks and going for walks and learning about trees and plants instead.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 04-Apr-20 12:35:42

Just to add that DS never so much as picked up a pencil before starting school, he simply wasn't interested. By the first half term he was writing sentences.

In no way did not being able to read it write hold him back.

SomeoneElseEntirelyNow Mon 06-Apr-20 00:09:44

Another kid who could read, write and do basic maths before going to school here - spent the first year or two constantly being told off for not paying attention and got branded at a "naughty child" when i was just bored to tears sitting about being taught things i already knew. I genuinely think this contributed hugely to my poor mental health, which started around age 9 or 10.

Let your child learn with their peers. Please.

AdriannaP Mon 06-Apr-20 07:31:14

She will learn it early enough. Why don’t you do other things with her - more creative things or nature related activities- that schools won’t do as much. There is no study that correlates early reading with better academic outcomes in life. Most children in Europe learn to read with 6.
I think she will be bored in school if you teach her phonics already.

corythatwas Tue 07-Apr-20 11:57:34

I could read about a year and a half before I started school. I was never bored, but that was mainly because I had so many interesting things to think about- things I read, outdoors activities, crafts- that life itself was interesting. I didn't have a problem with listening with half an ear, answering questions when called on to do so, and spending my spare time making up stories or planning new adventures.

And I grew up in a culture that was less rigidly focused on the Three 'Rs and worksheets, so I didn't feel time was wasted if I wasn't progressing at a set level with those things.

What I would say, though, is this time before she goes to school is a golden time to teach her all the things she will have less time for later: how to recognise all the birds in the neighbourhood and understand their behaviour, how to tell flowers and trees apart and understand about bees and hoverflies, how to do simple crafts, learn lots of songs, paint, make up stories, bake and cook under supervision, grow her own little garden on the windowsill, play games and do basic sports, listen to lots of stories, nursery rhymes, poetry.

All these things will stand her in good stead later: she will have a well-developed linguistic grounding and a framework to build her reading and writing on.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in