Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

18 months and still only cruising

(25 Posts)
Gemy Tue 11-Sep-07 20:57:10

My 18 month DD is still only cruising and I am worried that she is not progressing from this. She has been doing it for a good few months and is only getting marginally better. On the other hand, she feeds herself well with cutlery, is nearly 100% potty trained and I cannot complain about anything else developmentally.

Except for encouraging her (which perhaps we have not done enough of?) any other recommendations? I am very worried!

Thanks for an advice wink

SophonisbaBreckinridgeGoatlegs Tue 11-Sep-07 21:00:13

my niece recently started walking at 18 months just as her parents were beginning to despair.

she has had recurring ear infections that may have contributed to delayed walking by affecting her balance.

could this be a factor for your dd?

I'm sure she will get going soon, after all, if she can do it holding on its only a balance or confidence thing...all the bits are working together in the right way

emkana Tue 11-Sep-07 21:01:22

Potty-trained at 18 months?

emkana Tue 11-Sep-07 21:02:53

Look if she is cruising then of course she is going to walk some time soon. Have you ever seen an adult who could only walk holding on to furniture? She obviously has the mechanics for walking, just needs some more confidence. What is there to worry? She'll do it when she's ready.

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 11-Sep-07 21:06:12

My friends daughter was still bum shuffling at 20 months. Got up and walked one day.
IMO children can't be advanced at everything, your child sounds very advanced at other things that some parents would like their children to be doing (potty trained envy!!!
Mine were fully active FAR TOO EARLY and potty training seems to come later with them. Which means I can't catch them when they are pooing freestyle grin

Gemy Tue 11-Sep-07 21:07:34

Unfortunatly Sophonis, DD has been the picture of health so no to that one.....She does sometimes take just a few steps on her own but will always drop to a crawl. And she walks quite a lot when I'm holding both her hands.

And yes emkana, from about 12 months she was waking with dry nappies and so we introduced the potty and have not looked back!

Nemo2007 Tue 11-Sep-07 21:08:19

blimey how have you potty trained if she cant walk to the loo etc????!!!!

Agree with others they cant be advanced at everything. Mine have all been early physical developers crawling/walking etc but speech tends to be slower.

emkana Tue 11-Sep-07 21:08:39

Honestly I am gobsmacked. What are you worrying about? She can walk, obviously!

tori32 Tue 11-Sep-07 21:11:52

Genny it sounds like you have answered your own question. She needs encouragement to build confidence,. Try getting her to walk between two people she trusts and gradually lengthen the gap. Use something she likes or wants as bait to get her to come to you. She will do it in no time with lots of praise for effort.

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 11-Sep-07 21:11:54

I missed that one nemo, Gemy - please do tell how a child can be potty trained if she can't walk to a potty and stand at it while she pulls her pants down and back up, as that would be my definition of potty trained.

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Tue 11-Sep-07 21:12:18

my dd didnt walk till about 18 months. she did the same thing.

we encouraged her by handing her a book in each hand (she loves books) and telling her to walk the 2 foot to grandad and he'd read to her. gradually increasing the distance, and suddenly she realised that this was just as quick as crawling (i think this was her main reason for crawling as it was mch quicker) and now she could carry things!

also dotn worry too much, they do it when they do it!

well done on the potty training! envy

Gemy Tue 11-Sep-07 21:17:48

emkana maybe you're right - we're just worrying without need. It's just I didn't think too much about it until this women in Clarks commented the other day about how behind she was and then all the other mothers in there joined in!

And I mean potty-trained as in with the potty....she will wait to go until we pop her on (even first thing in the morning upon waking - though I say nearly 100% because if we don't get there quick enough upon waking she does wee in her nappy)

Flibberty thanks for the encouraging post, I suppose we'll just have to wait til she is ready to go it alone without the furniture!

mawbroon Tue 11-Sep-07 21:22:02

Gemy, my ds did this. He cruised round the furniture from around 15 months until he finally took some steps at 20 months. One day he took two little steps, then the next day he was walking up and down the kitchen.

Gemy Tue 11-Sep-07 21:34:05

Thanks sleepless, will try that - DD loves books too so that is a very good idea. I think you're right about the fact that she crawls because she thinks it is quicker. Sometimes she crawls with things in her hands and gets pretty frustrated when she keeps having to stop and retrieve the things she drops!

God isn't there always something to worry about it seems!

Reallytired Tue 11-Sep-07 21:54:54

"emkana maybe you're right - we're just worrying without need. It's just I didn't think too much about it until this women in Clarks commented the other day about how behind she was and then all the other mothers in there joined in! "

Don't worry about what other mother think. They aren't trained physios. My son was at the stage of only taking a couple of steps then crawling until he was two and half years old!

At five years and 8 months you can't stop him running!

If I had my way the birth to five book would be burnt!

TotalChaos Tue 11-Sep-07 22:15:16

18 months isn't really all that late. But I would speak to your HV/GP anyway; there might be a long waiting list to see a paediatrician in your area, so it might be best for her to go on a waiting list now, just in case say 6 months down the line there are problems.

emkana Tue 11-Sep-07 22:17:23

Why would you need to see a paediatrician?

Gemy said she can take a few steps unaided, so she is actually walking! Just needs to do more of it and get quicker, that's all!!!!

TotalChaos Tue 11-Sep-07 22:18:52

Ah I hadn't seen that she could take a few steps unaided! Thanks Emkana.

TotalChaos Tue 11-Sep-07 23:00:19

so scratch what I just said about GP etc, if she can do a few steps, sounds like she just needs to get her confidence up with walking.

KeirHardAitch Tue 11-Sep-07 23:04:40

my friend didn't walk til 22 months, and yet it hasn't made any impact on her career as a senior parliamentary legal advisor. wink

Gemy Wed 12-Sep-07 10:26:52

Thanks for all your supportive messages - I have told all family members to give her lots of encouragement next time she takes those few steps and we'll just have to give her a little more time.

glamourbadger Wed 12-Sep-07 12:59:15

Hi Gemy

It's so nice to read a post from someone going through the same thing. My twins are 17 months and still cruising - am desperate for them to walk as it will make life so much easier. They have been cruising for months!

It is frustrating when you go to groups and see babies 8 months younger than yours tootling around. I've had them checked out and they are fine - we just have to hang in there. Like everything they will do it in their own time.

Gemy Wed 12-Sep-07 21:23:03

Hello glamourbadger, I know! I can't wait til we can go for little strolls and not worry about her wearing out the knees of her new clothes!

Good luck with your twins and the walking, I'll bet they are waiting for each other to do it first and then they'll be no stopping them! (aaah what a cute thought! Little twins toddling along holding hands with each other!)

grannyslippers Wed 12-Sep-07 23:35:24

Don't be worried - we were a good 19-20 months before unaided steps happened. No developemental issues, just his own good time. I remember, he seemed to be crawling/cruising for Months. I was very reassured by Mumsnet on this subject particularly someone's suggestion to "grow a thick skin" to other people's comments grin.

We did lots of getting him to walk/stagger across the room a few steps between us, he still thinks this is a great game.

When he got going he very quickly made up for lost time and was a stomping everywhere after a few weeks.

keisha Thu 13-Sep-07 10:18:24

my daughter 18 months only just walking unaided much later then my other 2 daughtersanyone else the same

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now