Talk

Advanced search

Interrupting

(16 Posts)
UnquietDad Tue 11-Sep-07 19:13:16

Do you teach your children to "wait their turn" to speak? Or indulge them?

Ours are 4 and 7 "DADDY!" and we are "DADDY!" training them to do so "DADDY!" rather than "DAADDYYY!" butting in whenever they damn well feel like it, "DADDYYYY!" which is of course extremely "DA-DDYYYYY!" irritating.

What, DS, what do you want??

Blandmum Tue 11-Sep-07 19:16:27

in the nicest, gentlest way pplease teach them not to interupt.

I taught a sixth form class today (17 year olds) and one boy simply cannot allow me to answer anyone's questions without interupting.

It drives me (and the rest of the class) wild. He simply cannot wait.

motherinferior Tue 11-Sep-07 19:17:53

I try, amid the mayhem.

Niecie Tue 11-Sep-07 19:20:32

My two are the same age and drive me mad! Glad it is not just us being bad parents. I was trying to have a conversation this morning with a woman I had never met before who came to our toddler group for the 1st time and DS2 was literally dragging me across the floor and would not take no for an answer. I tried to make him wait his turn but in the end I had to give in although I was not happy about it!!

And why do they always wait until you are on the phone before they decide they want to tell you about their day? Do they have some special 'phone in use interupt now' detector?

mum2oliver Tue 11-Sep-07 19:21:47

This is so hard.My ds interupts all the time.He is 3.6 and just will keep going until he is heard.He doe say excuse me and doesnt shout but even so when do they stop doing it!!

TellusMater Tue 11-Sep-07 19:22:25

I do try.

In my lessons, if a child shouts out when someone else is talking, I put my hand out in their direction, while continuing to look at the speaker. Then when the speaker has finished, I go to them. It ususally works really well once it has bedded in.

Doesn't work with my children though....

babyblue2 Tue 11-Sep-07 19:23:39

DD1 is 4 and is terrible for this. I usually have to say 'you're interrupting' and she quietens down. They tried to stop her from interrupting in nursery but they couldn't manage. I've heard that if they manage not to interrupt (which is hard to notice) you're really meant to give praise. I have not succeeded with this yet.

motherinferior Tue 11-Sep-07 19:26:44

Sometimes DD2 weeps with frustration when forced to wait for a whole 30 seconds.

I have spawned monsters. Loud ones.

Blandmum Tue 11-Sep-07 19:28:04

LOLOLOL!

I just can't think where she gets her love of communication from! wink

The old apple didn't fall far from the tree, did it???

motherinferior Tue 11-Sep-07 19:28:39

I can hear them in the bath. Interupting each other.

FranSanDisco Tue 11-Sep-07 19:29:08

I have been known to physically carry my son (4 yo) from the room whilst he's saying over and over "but it's important". grin He just cannot wait and it drives both dh and I MAD!!

francagoestohollywood Tue 11-Sep-07 19:45:47

We are trying, unsuccesfully. Ds also hates it when you don't explain things he has somehow eavesdropped: Mummy, what? Nothing ds, don't worry. "BUT I WANT TO KNOW EVERYTHING". Help.

Niecie Tue 11-Sep-07 20:13:53

Mine don't interupt each other - they just keep talking more and more loudly over the top of each other.

What is the solution and how many years of using it does it take for it to get through to them?

UnquietDad Tue 11-Sep-07 21:17:55

I was always told to "wait your turn" as a child. I do remember one occasion when my parents were having a low, intense, stressed conversation in the kitchen - I realise now it must have been about money/work - and I barged in and started talking over them.

My dad turned round (not one of those figures of speech, he actually did turn round, to face me) and bellowed at the top of his voice:

SHUT!!!
UP!!!!

He so rarely raised his voice that I was staggered - and I think I did stagger too, almost physically bowled over by the intensity of it.

I thought twice before ever interrupting again.

Not that I'm advocating this as a useful policy, or anything. If Dr Tanya is listening.

UnquietDad Wed 12-Sep-07 09:46:18

Did that kill this?

Niecie Wed 12-Sep-07 12:45:30

We are all quiet as everybody is very politely trying not to interupt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now