Talk

Advanced search

2.5 year old doesn't play with toys

(6 Posts)
Dystrophin345 Fri 27-Mar-20 23:04:16

So my 2.5 year old( 3 in July) has lots of toys (duplo, blocks etc) but has no interest in playing with them other than his scooter, bike Andy ride on toys. If I take the duplo out, he will play for about 2 minutes before tossing them around. He doesn't know how to build things with it or what to do. I've sat with him modelling it and encouraging him to join but he just stares at it then gets bored. He is the same with blocks. He has other toys as well (used to love cars) like a garage etc but he is just not interested. He used to just push the cars along any surface when he was little. Recently I got him an ice cream cart which he loves. But that's about it.

He does like doing puzzles and he loves learning new things. But I can't get him to colour something or draw or scribble even for two minutes. Everything ends up on the floor. Currently he loves to take everything out of the cupboards and chuck them around

I feel worried as I think I've done something wrong. It's just the two of us at home so I don't know if that plays a part. My husbands 3 year old
Nephew comes to play sometimes and when I see him, I get really worried. He plays properly with everything, build things with Lego and recently started mine craft with his brothers. I don't know if it's the fact that he has siblings and has learnt from them.

I'm hoping one day he would surprise me.

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 28-Mar-20 11:32:17

Don't worry about him not drawing or colouring, some boys especially just aren't interested. If you have a garden, could you give him some water and a paintbrush and get him to "paint" the fence or patio? He'll be improving his fine motor skills without noticing.

Also, having limited interest in some toys is pretty normal too at this age.

Also remember there is a huge difference between 2.5 and 3 year olds and it won't make you happy comparing them smile

If you are worried though, I'd speak to your HV. He's probably a bit old for the m-chat.

Dystrophin345 Sat 28-Mar-20 12:47:43

I did the mchat when he was younger and it seemed fine. He's sociable and can't follow instructions etc. A health visitor came and I spoke to her when he was 2 and she said she isn't worried about autism as he was making good eye contact etc. He is very happy playing outside. He loves digging and looking for worms and playing 'it' and football. All very boyish games but just doesn't seem interested in other toys. Maybe he's just bored of his toys I don't know. I haven't got a garden and very little space to hide is toys for a while

Dystrophin345 Sat 28-Mar-20 12:47:58

I did the mchat when he was younger and it seemed fine. He's sociable and canfollow instructions etc. A health visitor came and I spoke to her when he was 2 and she said she isn't worried about autism as he was making good eye contact etc. He is very happy playing outside. He loves digging and looking for worms and playing 'it' and football. All very boyish games but just doesn't seem interested in other toys. Maybe he's just bored of his toys I don't know. I haven't got a garden and very little space to hide is toys for a while

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 28-Mar-20 12:58:10

In that case then it might be worth looking on Pinterest to see if there is anything you can play with him that you don't have to buy smile

Dystrophin345 Sat 28-Mar-20 13:07:30

We've been trying to do that during this lockdown! He's just more happy playing with me than on his own!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in