Talk

Advanced search

How old is your child/ren and how much television do you allow them to watch?

(11 Posts)
bramblina Sun 09-Sep-07 23:02:27

? wondering what is the norm? Ds (2) just discovered Tractor Tom dvd we got free, that's all he knows exists, but would like to watch it once a day. Is it wise to avoid as much as poss or just limit very strictly...hmm?

spitzhund Sun 09-Sep-07 23:19:39

my children are 11 and 8. I have never set a TV limit. But then I wouldn't dream of watching it for hours either.

Tortington Sun 09-Sep-07 23:21:59

14yo twins & 17ds - whatever they want
after homework and chores although dd prefers the computer and reading and ds prefers skateboarding other ds works until 6 - has tea and waches dvds with his GF grin

haychee Sun 09-Sep-07 23:24:54

Mine have no restrictions on the tv, but i know some mums that do. tbh, mine are quite easily distracted from it anyway possibly because i dont go on about it.
Its actually a relief when they discover somthing that really captures them, short break for mummy.

FairyMum Sun 09-Sep-07 23:29:40

No more than 1 hour a day whatever their age, but also think it depends what they watch

CountessDracula Sun 09-Sep-07 23:30:11

dd is just 5

She watches between nothing and 30 mins during the week

At weekends she has a dvd in the mornings at least one morning and sometimes watches half an hour in the evening

KerryMum Sun 09-Sep-07 23:31:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mazzystar Sun 09-Sep-07 23:36:50

ds is very nearly 3
weekdays he watches 3/4 hour or so of cbeebies or dvds in the 6 - 7 hellish shift between tea and daddy coming home
weekends either none at all or flaming hours if dh left in charge whilst i'm doing sonthing else.

seeker Sun 09-Sep-07 23:40:16

11 and 6. Very restricted during the week - and I include all screen time in that - tv, dvds,playstation, nintendo, computer, messing on a mobile phone. Sunday mornings they can watch as much as they want - sometimes that means 3 hours(!) but they really enjoy it.They call it flop time. We only have one tv, by the way, sso they have to negotiate what to watch. I don't need to watch tv - watching the dcs negotiate is entertaining enough......!

mrspink27 Sun 09-Sep-07 23:40:48

Have had a no limit rule for dds, they tend to watch a bit, go off and do something and then come back. However recently their viewing seems to have rocketed and dh and i have decided that there will be virtually no tv during the week, and limited at the weekend. Dont know how its going to work but hopefully they will actually learn to occupy and amuse themselves a bit better!

mrspink27 Sun 09-Sep-07 23:42:07

dds are 3 and 5

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now