Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

when did your child not mind sleeping in a different place (holiday)

(18 Posts)
thegardener Sun 09-Sep-07 20:34:18

After our last holiday (ds was 14 mths) & having great difficulty sleeping in different surroundings we felt that we didn't want to go away again for a very long time.

At what age do they generally get better at sleeping in unfamilar surroundings...pls sat soon.

SoupDragon Sun 09-Sep-07 20:35:05

Errr... birth!

Kog Sun 09-Sep-07 20:47:20

I would say that the longer you let him get used to the idea that he only ever sleeps in his bed at home, the harder it will be to persuade him to sleep elsewhere.

LIZS Sun 09-Sep-07 20:49:14

How rigid are your bedtime routines, are some of the "cues" too specific to your home ? Ours were never a problem sleeping elsewhere tbh as long as we were around and they had a few familiar things.

Hulababy Sun 09-Sep-07 20:50:45

Luckily DD was never any less settled away from home as at home. But we had, still do hae, very flexible routines esp when it comes to bedtime.

MadLabOwner Sun 09-Sep-07 20:53:27

My DD was a dreadful sleeper away from home. After 9 months (and probably 25 nights in total away from home) I realised why this was, and bought an extra mattress for her travel cot. No problems now....she obviously wasn't comfy in the cot before. Have you considered this?

anniemac Sun 09-Sep-07 20:58:34

Message withdrawn

Pitchounette Sun 09-Sep-07 21:01:00

Message withdrawn

MrsCellophane Sun 09-Sep-07 21:09:51

Never been a problem for us, but they've always been used to sleeping away (even if at GPs house, with us there too)

cat64 Sun 09-Sep-07 21:12:23

Message withdrawn

bozza Sun 09-Sep-07 21:15:09

How old is he now? We had two weeks in France with our 6 and 3 yos and they slept fantastically - 10.30-9 or something like that and then a nap in the day as well.

anniemac Sun 09-Sep-07 21:18:50

Message withdrawn

thegardener Mon 10-Sep-07 09:03:30

Ds is now 18 months, isuppose like a few of you have said they are all different.

Thanks for your messages.wink

WaynettaVonSlob Mon 10-Sep-07 09:06:21

Have always been good sleepers, at home or away. Make sure when babies they have their gro-bags etc, as they get older they just do it!

SueW Mon 10-Sep-07 09:17:37

My DD was a lousy sleeper so my experience prob doesn't help. But I put her sleeplessness down to 26 beds, five countries, about a dozen international flights in the first year of her life!

PeterDuck Mon 10-Sep-07 22:16:42

Message withdrawn

Lovage Tue 11-Sep-07 15:01:02

Routines and familiar equipment isn't necessarily the answer. We have a very well established routine and portable bedtime accessories (music on exactly same equipment, lovey, sleeping bag, even sheet) and Ds's holiday sleep was still absolutely terrible. Maybe some babies are just more sensitive to changes of environment.

i too want to know when it might get better as I never want to go on holiday again, at the moment!

cockles Tue 11-Sep-07 18:48:19

Sitll no luck at 21 months, despite padding travel cots with layers of duvet, familiar grobag etc. He ends up with us where he feeds /snuggles all night. It is not restful for anyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now