Talk

Advanced search

When to stop using a play pen? What age?

(4 Posts)
Alexandersmummy Sun 09-Sep-07 16:03:11

Hi,
My DS is 23 months and I still use a playpen for him. I only use it if I have to leave he living room for a while, scuh as cooking tea, etc.
A friend commented that I shouldn't be using it antmore as he is nearly 2.
I lie in a two storey masionette, we alot of stiars, for which I don't have gates for, as I'd need at least 4! His playpen is massive, it's a wooden one that is flexible and you can change the shape of, so it's not like he is cramped.
I have thought about removing it but was just wondering how old were your DCs when you stopped? Thanks and sorry if this makes me a bad mum!!

cleaninglady Sun 09-Sep-07 16:16:22

HI - firstly it doesnt make you a bad mum! your concerned for his safety so thats a good thing smile I do however, agree with your friend , at nearly 2 he needs the freedom to learn to be more independent and wont always have the safety net that the playpen affords him. If you can at least toddler proof one room and block of the exit from that then that should get round your stairs issue but although it will mean more work for you it will ultimately help his development to not be confined. I have never personally used one with either of my DC and preferred a "safe" room for them - HTH !

ConnorTraceptive Sun 09-Sep-07 16:42:47

You're not a bad mum but agree it's time to stop using it. I know what you mean about starir gates though we have four but they give me peace of mind and ds the freedom he needs

wulfricsmummy Sun 09-Sep-07 20:18:52

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: