Talk

Advanced search

Baby headbanging - help!!!!

(4 Posts)
Firstbornunicorn Fri 06-Mar-20 16:40:56

DS is 10 months old and for the past few days, he’s been headbanging a lot. He went through a phase of doing it in his cot a while ago, but that seems to have passed. Now, he climbs up at the french doors and bashes his head on the glass. When he’s not doing that, he’s nodding his head, or sitting by the door and banging the back of his head on it.
I’m terrified this is a symptom of something developmental, but I don’t understand why he would go from not doing it at all to doing it all the time.
He mostly seems to be in a good mood and can be distracted with a toy or game. He has cut a new tooth today, but I don’t think that would cause this drastic a change.

Somebody please tell me it’s normal 😭😭

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Fri 06-Mar-20 17:29:35

Head banging is surprisingly common. Up to 20 percent of babies and toddlers bang their head on purpose, although boys are three times more likely to do it than girls. Head banging often starts in the second half of the first year and peaks between 18 and 24 months of age. - according to babycentre.com and several other websites. you can get baby crash helmets here if you are worried- they stop dc banging their actual head as they just hit the hat instead

Firstbornunicorn Sat 07-Mar-20 12:54:22

Thanks - he’s had previous short-lived habits, like tooth grinding, which seemed to build to a peak and then fade away. I’m hoping this does the same.

OP’s posts: |
tempnamechange98765 Sat 07-Mar-20 16:01:30

My DS head bangs! I actually posted about it a while ago. He does it in the cot, on his hands whilst lying face down mainly, but he used to ram his head into the cot headboard as well. He also does it in the daytime sometimes if he's out of sorts anyway (teething I guess) and if he's frustrated with something (generally onto his hands whilst lying face down rather than on to anything else), but mainly it's in bed, apparently it's a way of soothing themselves off to sleep.

Quite happy to find someone else whose baby does it wink as DC1 didn't do it so it's new to me. I have read it's common too, as pp said it happens in the second half of the first year, and my DS has been doing it since about 8 months so it definitely ticks the boxes. My DS is a bit of a lunatic but I don't have any concerns about his development otherwise really, he smiled/laughed early etc, has been clapping and waving a while, babbles a lot and he's very engaging. He's 12 months and not pointing yet but I think he's close, fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in