Need help translating teacher speak!

(6 Posts)
CFeatherstone Wed 04-Mar-20 16:56:36

Went to pick up my 3 1/2 year old from preschool today. One of her teachers was just idly chatting about the day they’d all had and how they were pretending a box was a swimming pool. Then she just came out with a load of observations (which never normally happens) and I’m really not sure what to make of it. She said:
- she is wilful and REALLY knows what she wants (true)
- she is ‘more mature’ than the others (she is October birthday tbf)
- she is a ‘leader’ (not sure what that means)
- she is ‘different’ (really don’t know what that means and obv am freaking out about this one)
Then when I said what do u mean she said oh, for example when she pulls her trousers up above her knees for a laugh then everyone else in the class does it. (Her last nursery also said she was a real ‘character’ and I’m still not sure what that meant either)
Then I said arg I know what you mean about the wilfulness, is she much worse than the others? she said ‘oh no..she’s as good as gold’ but now I’m like ok so why did you say she is REALLY wilful, and are you just trying to be polite...

Any teachers out there know what all this means? Are they trying to say my daughter is a bit of a brat?! She is definitely very clear on what she wants (and has been even as a baby), I tend to pick my battles and use reward charts, negotiation tactics (‘do you want this, or this?’) etc...boundaries are usually pretty clear, but I do sometimes just have to give in to save my sanity and my husband is super soft..
Anyway I always thought all 3 year olds were like that but now I’m wondering if I have a bit of a trickster on my hands and whether I need to be a bit more strict?
Thoughts hugely appreciated, don’t hold back!

OP’s posts: |
tempnamechange98765 Wed 04-Mar-20 19:59:15

I think don't worry, honestly! Who knows why the teacher said those things, maybe they'd had a particularly "wilful" day from her? Don't worry though, seriously. Your DD sounds hilarious.

CFeatherstone Wed 04-Mar-20 21:43:35

Thanks so much.

OP’s posts: |
strawberrylipgloss Thu 05-Mar-20 11:54:01

Teachers are encouraged to label and observe kids. For every kid who's told she's confident, there will be another who's told that they are too shy. In the real world there's a real variety of confidence levels in people but in my experience they label everyone rather than reassure that she's more confident than average but not to an unacceptable degree and dominating people who are quiet it whatever.

Your dd sounds very fun to me smile

Magicmama92 Fri 06-Mar-20 09:22:43

Ignore it. Its stupid to put labels on them. If she was being naughty theyd let you know. All kids are different characters and shes still young. Yea they do act differently at school than at home but youd know if she was a brat. She sounds just like a child to me. smile

crazychemist Fri 06-Mar-20 18:00:59

She’s the same age as my DD. Sounds like she just tends to be the one to lead trends in games, which isn’t a surprise if she’s one of the oldest. It doesn’t sound like there’s anything more to it than that

(I’m a teacher - “character” I’d just for anyone who had been amusing. Wilful is less good, but then what 3 year old isn’t?)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in