Talk

Advanced search

At what age do tantrums start?

(9 Posts)
Scootergrrrl Wed 05-Sep-07 12:15:16

And what on earth do you do?? DS, 16 months, is rolling around on the floor screeching because I took the remote control off him. I tried to pick him up and he just arcges his back and wriggles back onto the floor to continue screaming!
Is he too small for the ignore, ignore, ignore thing? Help!

Nip Wed 05-Sep-07 12:19:00

My DS does this - he's also 16 months.. i've been told its just a phase. He literally throws himself backwards and even bangs his head on the floor.
I've tried to ignore too, but he just works himself into a huge snotty mess. So i try and divert his attention with something else "oh who is at the door", "where is that cat", "lets get a drink". This usually calms him down and then he's fine.

HTH

Scootergrrrl Wed 05-Sep-07 13:47:39

The only thing which distracts mine out of it is the blinking Teletubbies video... I'm beginning to fantasise about bludgeoning Tinky Winky to death with his own sodding handbag smile

NAB3 Wed 05-Sep-07 13:52:23

10months

Ignore him as long as he isn't doing anything harmful.

NAB3 Wed 05-Sep-07 13:52:49

It is all frustration because they can't tell us what they want or their bodies won't let them do what they want.

Scootergrrrl Wed 05-Sep-07 14:33:23

That's exactly it - it's always when he gets frustrated. Does it last long?

MrsScavo Wed 05-Sep-07 14:35:00

More importantly, at what age do tantrums finish?

EscapeFrom Wed 05-Sep-07 14:44:29

Distract with raisins, or (me) biscuits.

rosmerta Wed 05-Sep-07 14:53:25

Try and distract otherwise ignore for a couple of minutes. My ds usually lets me pick him up after a couple of minutes rolling and wailing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now