Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone moved a toddler from a cot into a DOUBLE bed?

(25 Posts)
littlelapin Wed 05-Sep-07 10:25:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Wed 05-Sep-07 10:27:26

id say give him the double, theres no difference except mroe room to bounce wink

i have a friend who didnt want to repeatedly buy beds so put the tiny baby in a double bed from word go, worked for them.

MatNanPlus Wed 05-Sep-07 10:28:03

I would let him have a double to be honest, with his soft toys and a cushion or two it won't be that big grin

gordieracer Wed 05-Sep-07 10:28:05

Both my ds's had double beds from birth, only because they were the only beds we had. It's great cause you can get in with them in the night if they wake up, or if other half is snoring.

twentypence Wed 05-Sep-07 10:30:46

Ds had a kingsize bed on Norfolk Island and we had the best weeks sleep we have ever had - do it.

Unless he will be left with no floor space and you want him to play in his room, in which case don't do it.

littlelapin Wed 05-Sep-07 10:32:26

Lilymaid Wed 05-Sep-07 10:34:29

I slept in a double when little and it was fab. You could go under the bed clothes and lose yourself in the bed, play all sorts of games under it with friends (totally innocent!).

heifer Wed 05-Sep-07 10:39:43

not sure I would be happy tbh - not about the size of the bed really but more the height issue..

Will you be putting a bar thingy on to stop him falling out?

oh and will you ever get him to sleep, he will want to bounce and bounce just like tiger!..

Oh - by the way - just noticed that you were going to kick my arse yesterday..

Kick away - but only it you can catch me first...

LaCod Wed 05-Sep-07 10:40:15

my ds sleeps in one at grandmas and has since he was 32

twentypence Wed 05-Sep-07 10:42:23

Are double beds higher than singles - I'd not noticed? And less likely to fall out surely as further to roll.

heifer Wed 05-Sep-07 10:42:32

crickey cod - how OLD are you?

ediemay Wed 05-Sep-07 10:42:39

My DS sleeps in a low double and loves it. He sleeps really well, along with 843 assorted bunnies, teddies, frogs, pieces of Lego, books....

LaCod Wed 05-Sep-07 10:42:49

lol

mazzystar Wed 05-Sep-07 10:43:10

yep we did

but we just used the mattress on the floor at first, so less falling out potential. but he never did anyway.

heifer Wed 05-Sep-07 10:45:04

aren't doubles normally higher? the ones I have had have been?

and re less likely to roll out - DD tends to go to one side when sleeping in our bed, so I guess I assumed that others might.

littlelapin Wed 05-Sep-07 10:53:05

witchandchips Wed 05-Sep-07 10:55:48

we have double matress on floor, works great, the only think is i worry about my future dil or sil as think it encourages horizontal sleeping and need to have all the duvet grin

startouchedtrinity Wed 05-Sep-07 11:08:29

Another vote for matress on the floor, fantastically safe and makes a lovely big soft play area if you need to put your toddler somewhere safe for a while. I'd suggest using a small duvet at first though.

Anna8888 Wed 05-Sep-07 11:14:13

Yes, my daughter also had a mattress on the floor and spent some time in bed with us and some on her mattress (and sometimes I went there to sleep too wink). A very good idea.

pollywollydoodle Wed 05-Sep-07 21:10:09

moved at about 2 and a half when she took a fancy to one in the spare room....

we used a bedguard for a few months but despite having always slept on the bars of her cot she stayed in the middle of her bed

she loves it ....it becomes a bears cave etc and we can both lie on it on our bellies and read bedtime stories and have a cuddle!

denbury Wed 05-Sep-07 21:17:06

my 22 month old went into the double bed in our spare room about 2 weeks ago. we don't hear from him till morning now.wish we had done it soonersmile he looks like a little old man though as we have pillows around edge to stop him falling out

oliveoil Wed 05-Sep-07 21:21:50

we did this

my thread is on this thread!

Beachcomber Wed 05-Sep-07 21:31:19

My sister did this. Just like you they already had a double so it seemed silly to buy another. They put the mattress straight onto the floor in the beginning.

pinkdolly Fri 07-Sep-07 20:46:21

both dd1 and dd2 are in doubles. dd1 has a standard double in her room and dd2 has a triple sleeper in hers. it's great coz they quite often choose to sleep together. also when we have guests they share one room and the guests will have the other.

i have never felt it to be a problem, and honestly think that having had the doubles for so long that a single would be too small for them. especially in the case of dd2 who likes to sleep like a starfish diagonally across the bed.

dd3 is only 14 months and still in with us in our kingsize, but i wouldn't have any hesitation about putting her in with the others when she is older.

littlelapin Fri 07-Sep-07 20:50:44

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now