Talk

Advanced search

What do 6 month old babies "do"?

(17 Posts)
ForgetfulFaerie Wed 05-Sep-07 09:35:02

Don't get me wrong.

I have 2 children of my own who were once 6 months old so I'm not exopecting this baby to talk, walk or anything so bizarre.

But it seems a life time ago that mine were 6 months and the youngest is only 3!

However, today I am minding a friends 6 month old baby for the day and I'm amazed at how much I forget!

I went to set him down and walk away before it dawned on me that he was very wobbly and wriggly and possibly wouldn't be able to sit up. I propped cushions around him like I did with my own little ones, but he wriggled out of them too grin I ended up getting ds his breakfast with the baby under my wrm blush

Also, do they still have milk? The child's dad left me 2 bottles of baby juice and said he won't take milk through the day, just juice and yoghurts. He's not being BLW (See I read enough on here to know what that is wink) but when mine were young they got rice and what not.... not so, anymore?

I've changed my name as when her little one was born I recommended MN to her and if she even joined then she might know who I was by my not very imaginative username.

BTW I'm not judging her... I just wonder if I have lost touch with the way things were, and if I ev er were to have another child, would I have to learn all over again? grin hmm

ForgetfulFaerie Wed 05-Sep-07 09:58:56

I know... it's not interesting... I must just be getting old grin

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 05-Sep-07 10:01:21

DD still had milk through the day at that age. (I thought juice in bottles was a complete no-no)

She liked to have a selection of toys to suck/bang/investigate scattered around her. She could sit up reliably at that age.

ThursdayNext Wed 05-Sep-07 10:02:12

Just juice and yoghurts? No other food and no milk? Seems kind of unusual to me. Don't think you've lost touch with what babies eat, just that maybe these parents and baby are not exactly typical.

ForgetfulFaerie Wed 05-Sep-07 10:04:53

He has a little rattly brick. He loves it. He's a really happy, smily little chap

I wondered about the juice in bottles too, but he's not my baby and we all do things differently. I thought it was worse when they had teeth, this little one has no teeth yet, so that's maybe ok? [green]

He definitely isn't sitting up. And I know my dd still had milk during the day at his age, but not at night.

Beachcomber Wed 05-Sep-07 10:05:13

Mine both filled most of their time by crying piteously whenever I put them down.

No milk seems a bit odd.

ForgetfulFaerie Wed 05-Sep-07 10:05:38

could be ThursdayNext. I was wondering if he maybe has allergies and they have to be careful what they give him.

And he will probably get a dinner when he goes home.

ThursdayNext Wed 05-Sep-07 10:07:52

I thought juice generally wasn't a great idea.
DS didn't sit up at this age, pretty common I think.

Piffle Wed 05-Sep-07 10:10:52

ds2 is 24 wks
he sits with pillows happily for ages
he sleeps for 2 lots of 2.5 hrs
he feeds every 4 hours bearstfed
Takes a few BLW solids and some stewed fruit
juice nope none of my kids get juice until they are 3 -4 yrs old.

paolosgirl Wed 05-Sep-07 10:12:22

This post rings bells with me - I've got a surprise 5 month old now, after a gap of nearly 8 years, and have forgotten more than I ever learned! None of mine were sitting up unsupported by themselves at 6 months, but were propped up by cushions instead. They would have a selection of rattles etc to play with, but I def. played more (ie was a bit intense, LOL) with the first than I'm doing with the third! Must admit I'm a bit surprised that he's only getting juice and yoghurt...I thought they were supposed to have 4/6 milk feeds a day at that age? Oh well, each to their own.

paolosgirl Wed 05-Sep-07 10:13:27

should have been milk feeds plus solids

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Wed 05-Sep-07 10:20:21

my ds is 10months now, and still has milk during the day, he wasnt quite sitting up by 6months but could crawl (he wouldnt sit up as couldnt work out how to get to crawling, so he used to go rigid so you had to lay him down grin) loved toys to rattle and bash and watching bigger chidlren (esp. dd) play.

just juice and yoghurts sounds odd, ds doesnt like milk much but still has one feed during the day even at 10 months!

also feel weaning on yoghurts isnt best imho (i do give my kids yoghurts but not until they were used to savory tastes!)

divastrop Wed 05-Sep-07 10:22:23

my dd3 is almost 6 months and still has 4-5 milk feeds a day,though she is drinking less and less during the day and having a marathon feed before bed now.i would provide at least 2 bottles though if i was leaving her with somebody,as she usually has some milk mid morning and mid afternoon.

she wont drink water on its own so i put a tiny drop of apple juice in it,although i am aware im not supposed to do that,but on hot days i would rather she drinks something.she has yoghurt for breakfast and fruit puree for dinner,but i dont look on these as 'food',she just has them to get used to new tastes as she was ff from birth.

she cant sit unsupported yet.my dd1 and dd2 couldnt sit in any manner untill 8 months.

ForgetfulFaerie Wed 05-Sep-07 10:23:30

I'll have him until 5pm and I have 2 bottles of juice and 4 yoghurts. I'm not going to give him anything else incase he has allergiesnI know nothing about.

He's just waking up now so I better go!!

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Wed 05-Sep-07 19:28:52

That sounds dreadful. He shouldn't be filling up on sugar and cows milk. Certainly not angry

divastrop Wed 05-Sep-07 21:34:58

how did it go?4 yoghurts shock.he cant be allergic to cow's milk so i wonder why no formula?

massivebigpantsface Wed 05-Sep-07 21:50:19

shock 4 yoghurts in a day!

I can't imagine that he is allergic to some nice carrot or potato for lunch?

DD was having a milk feed about every 3-4 hours at this age, plus a good variety of solids started at 25 weeks (a bit early).

Perhaps you could arrange to have a goos chat before you have the baby next week and find out as much as you can about the babys diet/feeding pattern.
As you said there could be a good reason why he is not given milk or other solids throughout the day, but it may be that the parents just are not aware of the babys needs.

If they continue to give this many yogurts it is worth checking the sugar content and perhaps just trying natural yog with some fruit added. Even something like Petit Filous which is supposedly designed for babies and children, contains a teaspoon of sugar in every tiny pot!

Hope things work out with the little chap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now