Talk

Advanced search

dd (5) making noises.. could it be her adenoids?

(7 Posts)
Fireflyfairy2 Tue 04-Sep-07 15:35:37

When I say "Making noises" I mean like a snore when she breathes in. She can be sitting beside me when I read to her & will keep hearing her make this noise.

When I told her off for it (thinking it was just a habit) she said she couldn't help it & that was just the way she breathes. I am wondering if she does it in school & if she does, it's bound to disrupt the person beside her.

I have just realised she makes another wee noise too, like a light cough. She doesn't have a cough, I am convinced these noises are habits!

Should I mention it to a doctor incase her adenoids are what's causing the snoring thing?

How the hell do I get her to stop the cough habit though hmm

Fireflyfairy2 Tue 04-Sep-07 15:36:08

Sorry, I prrbably should have put this under health...

jalopy Tue 04-Sep-07 17:18:32

The snore could be caused by adenoids. The cough is possibly a 'tic'. The cough habit will most likely subside. Worth asking about both at the GP.

mimsum Tue 04-Sep-07 19:21:55

both noises are probably tics - they're absolutely NOT 'habits' - tics are involuntary noises or movements that lots and lots of kids make at some point - the worst thing you can do is draw her attention to it or ask her to stop it as that will make it worse. Just ignore it, it will probably go away of its own accord, but if it gets worse and/or more disruptive, go and see your GP but there's not a lot they can do about it tbh. All three of my kids have had tics btw, and the eldest has Tourette's so we know a lot about tics in this family hmm

Fireflyfairy2 Tue 04-Sep-07 20:41:02

Thanks.

Can the GP not do anything if it's her adenoids though?

So, if it's a tic I should ignore it then, thanks... I can try!

mimsum Tue 04-Sep-07 21:50:13

I'd be very surprised if it was her adenoids, given that she's also coughing - the two things together sound very tic-ish to me. It is so common especially with kids this age and is really absolutely nothing to worry about unless it's bothering her

FAR26 Tue 04-Sep-07 22:11:46

Might be worth getting her checked out by ENT Dept (get your GP to refer you)just for a look in her mouth/throat. I see you're from NI (me too!) so would recommend the Royal if you were going down this route. How long has she been coughing/making snoring noise? Is there anything different in her atmosphere (dry heat/dusty/chalky/lower fluid intake than usual?) that could be triggering her to clear her throat? Just some ideas.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: