Talk

Advanced search

Speech Therapy

(16 Posts)
SoupDragon Tue 04-Sep-07 12:59:48

DS2 is 6.5. He's struggled with certain sounds but most finally "appeared" over the last year, most notably ch and sh. This leaves him with R which, TBH, I don't think I've ever heard him say properly, maybe a handful of times but no more. It's usually pronounced W (W is for Wino is my favourite example)

He was referred for speech therapy last summer and, inevitably, is still waiting for the appointment. I don't think he has a major problem and I think it will be easily fixed very quickly with the right "exercises". He's articulate and has a huge vocabulary but I don't want him to grow up into Jonathan Ross!

Can anyone tell me how I can help him myself.? I know there are SALTs out there. If I can sort it myself I can cancel the referral so someone in greater needs gets seen quicker. I've tried getting him to say Round the Ragged Rock etc (tongue twisters helped him conquer SH and CH) but since he doesn't seem to be able to make the sound it doesn't really help.

Ta.

EmsMum Tue 04-Sep-07 13:10:37

If anyone has any tips or links on F/Th discrimination too I'd love to know... My DD (8) can say 'th' in e.g 'than' but 3 is always 'free'. I think its more or less, hard th ok, soft th isn't. I've tried telling her to stick her tongue out when she's saying 'thank you' but to no avail.

I wonder if she can properly hear the difference because she quite often writes f instead of th too.

Hope soupdragon doesn't mind me adding this question here?

SoupDragon Tue 04-Sep-07 17:59:47

<<stares hard at EmsMum>> wink

fibernie Tue 04-Sep-07 20:34:56

Ok, you found an slt, but one who hasn't worked with children for 10years and it's all a dim and distant memory. My advice wouldn't be the best.
I can bump for you though, and point you to this site, which might be useful.
here

SoupDragon Wed 05-Sep-07 10:44:08

Thanks

SoupDragon Wed 05-Sep-07 10:50:59

Good site, thanks. Have printed off a list of TR words which it seemed to recommend starting with.

chocolateteapot Wed 05-Sep-07 16:38:11

Can't help you SoupDragon I'm afraid but EmsMum I have just been this with my DD, it was saying "three" as free that started it off.

It is apparently the "thr" that causes the problem with this so words like throw, through she might struggle with. What they have to do is get the hang of putting their tongue forward for "th" but then it has to come back again to get the "r" bit if that makes any sense at all !.

I ended up paying for a SALT assessment for my DD and found that actually there were a fair few things she couldn't do but I hadn't realised, it was just the "thr" that I had noticed. The good news is that although she occasionally needs reminding, it has really paid off and her speech has really really improved.

Peachy Wed 05-Sep-07 16:44:04

TBH I would consider paying- I almost did after ds3 waited over a year (and he only got bumped becuase of pressure by PAediatrics). You might find it only takes one session or so to get the advice you need, which wouldn't be too bad cost wise (varies as to where you are, we were quoted £60)

SoupDragon Wed 05-Sep-07 19:42:37

I had considered private but it seems so trivial compared to the problems I see others having.

Peachy Wed 05-Sep-07 20:27:20

But if your ds is having problems, he's entitled to help surely? The vast majority of kids seeing the SALT are far more advanced verbally than ds3- but it's about helping each child attain their potential, not who deserves it or whatever.

Sixofone Wed 05-Sep-07 20:31:06

Speaking as a SALT, albeit one that works with adults not kiddies, you are probably better off paying, you'll get seen almost straight away and can get the problem sorted. If you wait for an NHS appt you will probably then go on yet another waiting list for therapy (that's how it works where I work, anyhow)

Peachy Wed 05-Sep-07 20:33:14

It does here too, although (shock) ds3 seemed to skip list 2- went straight to the community team and is being seen immediately BUT he's barely verbal and 4, so has missed a lot whilst waiting and SALT is seriosuly upset at this (she's a love smile)

Surely if you do feel guilty anyhow, paying would somehow relieve that, in that you wouldn't be 'taking' another place?

KTNoo Thu 06-Sep-07 11:29:56

Opinion from another SALT (where are they all coming from?!)....

You need to find out the waiting list procedure where you live - I think it varies enormously. Where I worked we had to see all children who were referred within 6 weeks, for assessment. They were then placed on a "waiting list" for therapy, if necessary, but it wasn't completely first come first served. Children were also prioritised in terms of need and lots of others factors. You probably wouldn't take the place of someone with a more serious difficulty.

If you pay for treatment, however, it will be very different. I would say if you're worried about it then it's up to you what you do with your money - you don't need to feel bad about it!

SoupDragon Thu 06-Sep-07 12:30:38

I'm going to put in a concerted effort over the next couple of weeks to see if I can sort it (this is literally all it took to get CH and SH last year). If he shows no improvement I'll end up paying.

SoupDragon Fri 07-Sep-07 11:44:09

OK, here's an odd one.

I got DS2 to read all the TR words last night. He said TR clearly in every one. This morning I asked him to say a few and he said some mangled version of TW/TL hmm I don't think we're ready for Round the Ragged Rock just yet...

singersgirl Fri 07-Sep-07 11:59:20

DS2, just 6, hasn't had any major artculation issues, but I did notice that for a few weeks before he started saying voiced and unvoiced 'th' in general speech, he was saying it when he read to me. So it is a good sign that your DS can say it when reading - what I did was prompt a few times every day when he said 'f' and get him to repeat the sound correctly.

I did exactly the same as you with your DS with my DS1, for 'c' and 'g' at the start of words (age 4) and for voiced and unvoiced 'th' (aged 7).

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: