Talk

Advanced search

Beakers and spoons...when did yours do it?

(12 Posts)
PregnantGrrrl Mon 03-Sep-07 11:00:21

DS is 14mths and very well developed in most areas. I'm keen to get him using a beaker / cup and to feed himself, although i'm not pushing him.

He'll drink water / diluted juice from a cup we got him, and will feed himself if we put in on the spoon/fork and hand it to him.

Out of curiosity, how old were yours when they could sit and spoon feed themselves, use a cup etc?

BandofMothers Mon 03-Sep-07 11:03:36

DD2 used a cup at about 6 mths. DD1 a bit later.
DD2 will use a spoon now, tho not very successfully. Better with a fork if we stab it for her. She is 1.
DD1 was good with spoon and fork too by about 1 1/2 could set stuff in front of her and she would use the utensils. Start with goopier stuff that is harder to spill.

BandofMothers Mon 03-Sep-07 11:04:13

The feeding tho is obviously harder than cup usage.

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Mon 03-Sep-07 11:07:11

i started cup at around 8months with dd, ds i really should do it at 10mo (altough he doesnt drink as much liquid as she does). feeding my dd is 2.10 and although has been able to feed herself using spoon/fork since around 20 months she normally uses fingers, i dont force the issue much as i dont have the energy and i can hardly seen a 17yo eating with their fingers!!

lilolilmanchester Mon 03-Sep-07 11:09:48

Both mine: cup at 7 months (moved straight to cup from BF when went back to work); spoon at around a year.

MuffinMclay Mon 03-Sep-07 12:10:58

Cup at about 6/7months, but only for water. He wouldn't drink milk from it until about 12 months.

Spoon, fork at about 12 months, but still a bit hit and miss with yoghurt (16 months).

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Mon 03-Sep-07 12:12:20

muffin my dd is still a bit hit and miss with yoghurt at 2.10! blush

littlelapin Mon 03-Sep-07 12:12:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Mon 03-Sep-07 12:18:30

oh cups without lids i didnt allow dd to have till she was over 2blush she threw it over the tv otherwise!!

mummymagic Mon 03-Sep-07 12:32:41

yes, I only do cup without lid at mealtimes! And only because my dd is good at keeping the cup steady and putting it down(she does tip it all in her dinner if I leave the room though hmm)

Dd has used an adult fork for a couple of months (she is 16mths, we did BLW - cos she wouldn't let us feed her). The plastic forks are rubbish - even I can't pick anything up with them smile

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Mon 03-Sep-07 12:43:00

mummymagic, i found plastic forks rubbish too, got dd some smaller metal ones as she was having trouble with big adult ones, shes much better with them now!

PregnantGrrrl Mon 03-Sep-07 13:13:42

DS can do cup with a clear inner lid which has little holes in it- he just bit the kind with the spout. the cup he has is quite clever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now