Talk

Advanced search

Playing by themselves

(4 Posts)
Originalusername01 Sun 09-Feb-20 15:45:35

My almost 7 year old cannot seem to entertain himself at all. If he isn't watching videos on YouTube or playing on his tablet..hes constantly asking me to play with him. I do enjoy playing games with him and board games etc but obviously sometimes I can always do this. Just wondering what other children are like and if they can entertain themselves for a bit.

OP’s posts: |
cptartapp Sun 09-Feb-20 15:53:59

DS1 was like this. Could not entertain himself unless watching tv. Would follow me round pestering to play or read with him, nothing held his interest for very long. He never got any better really. We just enrolled him in sport and other activities over the years to keep him busy.
Now 17 he's still the first to tire of something. But is very bright and got fantastic GCSE's and pretty self motivating with a job and great social life. But those early days were hard hard work.

April45 Sun 09-Feb-20 22:47:57

Can you set up activities ready for him to play with, may be with a timer to encourage him to stay engaged?

Jossina Mon 10-Feb-20 05:02:41

Let him be bored. It's part of being a human being. It will build up his imagination, patience, and resilience.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in