Talk

Advanced search

13 month old sudden bad breath

(9 Posts)
Winniethepoohbear Tue 28-Jan-20 05:04:26

Hi

SS is 13 months old and has 7 teeth, (3 top and 4 bottom). I have been brushing his teeth since they came in at 6 months twice daily (although he still does have a night feed and is breastfed).

2 days ago his breath started smelling. he had a cold a month ago, and seems in good health so it is not an infection. He drinks water daily (240ml) and eats a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and veg
and no processed stuff.

He uses dummies which we are trying to cut down on. I sterilise them as soon as they fall on a the floor and change monthly.

What is causing this and how do I fix it ?

OP’s posts: |
ReallyLilyReally Tue 28-Jan-20 06:49:56

What does it smell like, is it specific types of day? Like morning breath? I think i read somewhere that colds can cause bad breath in babies, so maybe he's got one coming (sorry!)

FTMF30 Tue 28-Jan-20 11:32:45

Does he suck his thumb? That can cause bsd breath.

NoMorePoliticsPlease Tue 28-Jan-20 11:37:51

Could be a sore throat, stomach upset or blocked sinuses. Unlikely to be anything you are doing,it will probably right itself

Winniethepoohbear Tue 28-Jan-20 12:09:05

Maybe more like morning breath. Definitely not sweet. I will give him some saline nasal spray today

Winniethepoohbear Tue 28-Jan-20 12:10:31

He has had a fair bit of wind the past few days but I had put that down to the broccoli

ReallyLilyReally Tue 28-Jan-20 12:35:19

If it's morning breath then it could be that a cold is on the way, if he's sleeping with his mouth open he may be stinkier! Or it could be that his teeth need a more thorough brushing now his eating is more advanced?

Winniethepoohbear Tue 28-Jan-20 13:18:13

Yeah I have been brushing his teeth more thoroughly since it started and it doesn't even smell better after brushing. It is more morning breath I suppose.

He does sleep with a dummy. I am trying to wean him off it though.

Tbh it is not strong, but noticeable when he is giving a kiss or breaths in your face.

Bracing myself for another cold

Winniethepoohbear Tue 28-Jan-20 14:37:21

Oh gosh just reread my op, meant DS not SS

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in