Terrible 2s! Not coping well....

(7 Posts)
Courtney10891 Fri 10-Jan-20 18:27:38

Hi,

My son turned 2 at the end of August. Recently, the past month my son has been an absolute nightmare! I find myself wishing away the hours until he goes to bed, I know that makes me sound like a terrible mother. He had always been such a lovely boy a d some days he still is but when he's bad he's terrible! He throws tantrums and screams and screams until I eventually give in Just to shut him until! He won't eat his food hardly anymore. We can't go food shopping without he screaming and having a outburst wanting something. It's draining! When I tell my partner about it after he gets home from work he laughs and says he's a boy that's how they are! Does my head in! I also have a 3 month old so life is hectic as it is. I'm trying to enjoy each day because I know how far it goes but my god it's bloody hard!

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 11-Jan-20 10:22:10

* He throws tantrums and screams and screams until I eventually give in*. I think you may have just answered your own question there OP. He's testing boundaries wit you and he needs the security of knowing that no means no.

Pick your battles carefully but if you do mean no, stick to it and ignore the tantrums.

If not, you'll end up with a 15 yo who will probably be bigger and stronger than you who knows that they can do what they want, when they want because my parents always so no, then let me do it anyway...

If you want some tips on managing his behaviour, have a read of the No Cry Discipline Solution and make sure he has plenty of time with you and your DH without the baby being around smile

Courtney10891 Sat 11-Jan-20 11:10:42

I know you're totally right. I get so bothered about what people think when we are out that I do give in even though I know I shouldn't. I just miss the days that I actually enjoyed taking him out and it was fun and not that stressful.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 11-Jan-20 17:40:01

You lease don't worry about what others think. It's a normal reaction to look, but you really don't know what they are thinking, at all.

I found ignoring the tantrums from my DS worked well. DD needed a bit more support, often a cuddle.

ACJD Wed 15-Jan-20 20:51:06

Feel exactly the same. My DD will be 2 on sat and at the min I just feel like I cant cope with her. She just tantrums at anything and even when I'm strict and say no shes still crying ten mins later, she just doesnt give up! I too have a 9mo so I know how hard it is. Hes so good such a content happy boy. Whereas shes been hard work since she was born. When they go to bed I just collapse into bed myself. I'm worn out. Just feel like the tantrums are never going to end!

Rainallnight Wed 15-Jan-20 21:34:21

My DD sat down on the ground and refused to move a grand total of 7 times today. hmm Getting her through and out of this phase successsfully is a lot more important than what people think.

Explain why they can’t do X, Y or X by all means, but do not give in. It’s just teaching him that it works.

Courtney10891 Thu 16-Jan-20 19:08:03

Totally get what you mean about them never going to end. It's even harder with a newborn because I don't have all the time to deal with him. I'm breastfeeding my baby which I'm sure my toddler uses to his advantage. It's draining! Hoping it's just a phase. I know I need to be more firm and mean no when I say no x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in