Talk

Advanced search

5 week old newborn

(27 Posts)
bumbly Mon 27-Aug-07 21:32:04

...was born with wisps of lovely red hair

but now noticed his head looked "bigger"

only to realise that he has lost some of his frontal hair

looks like male pattern baldness..is this normal?

losing hair at the front so early and not at the back

worried!!!

Wilkie Mon 27-Aug-07 21:32:56

Yes normal

coppertop Mon 27-Aug-07 21:33:42

Very normal.

frazzledbutcalm Mon 27-Aug-07 21:35:28

Agree perfectly normal. Could be sleeping position, nearly all mine all slept on front so lost hair at sides. one slept on back so lost hair at back.

UCM Mon 27-Aug-07 21:35:40

totally & utterly normal. My DS had loads of blond hair when he was born, it went and came back about a year later.

bumbly Mon 27-Aug-07 21:36:25

oh thanks for rpelies

;)

so am i destined to have a baldy?

so strange how he is losing hair without me noticing it in cot etc..

looks like he has horns now

back of head still wispy but front receding like an old man!!

argh!!

and also dry and flaky where the hair has gone!!!

is that normal too?

fawkeoff Mon 27-Aug-07 21:37:22

totally normal

Wilkie Mon 27-Aug-07 21:37:27

Dry and flaky could be cradle cap. rub olive oil into it.

EvangelinesMum Mon 27-Aug-07 21:44:37

My dd has lost her hair exactly like this - she had quite thick dark hair to start then at about a month it all receded except at the back where it is still dark as at birth (but with a bald patch where she sleeps on it!). Her hair has also now grown back in the bald area at the front but much lighter so she had oddly two-toned hair! She is now 4 1/2 months. So in my experience dont worry it will grow back but perhaps not the same colour. grin

ScottishMummy Mon 27-Aug-07 21:49:27

o normal my bubba looked like phil mitchell a wee baldy slap heid for a Long time

bumbly Mon 27-Aug-07 21:50:26

oh dear really didnt excdept this

does cradle cap cause hair loss

althougb dry flaky skin on bald patch is white not yellow

Jojay Mon 27-Aug-07 21:50:32

DS did exactly this, but it grew back again by about 3 months, so you might not have a baldy for too long!!!

It's now a few shades lighter than it was at birth though

Heated Mon 27-Aug-07 21:51:40

My niece was born with a shock-full of almost black hair (like her dad) that stood up on end, like she'd had a fright lol. It all gradually disappeared and she's now a pale blond like her sister & mum.

Olive oil at night for scaly scalp.

Wilkie Mon 27-Aug-07 21:52:31

Cradle cap doesn't cause hair loss.

Could just be dry. Defo moisturise/oil it though.

bookthief Mon 27-Aug-07 21:52:57

Yes normal - ds went through a v ugly stage when he lost all his hair on the front and top (I realise now, obv I thought he was completely gorge at the time grin). It grew back in pretty quickly and then he rubbed all the hair at the back off and that didn't grow back in until he stopped sleeping on his back and thrashing his head around.

bumbly Mon 27-Aug-07 22:01:57

i guessa i worry that where there is hair loss it will never grow back

!!

foxcub Mon 27-Aug-07 22:02:19

Bumbly my DS2 did the same - born with gorgeous head of thick black hair - which alarmingly receded at the front after about 4 weeks. It has grown back now though (phew!)

bumbly Mon 27-Aug-07 22:05:44

yes receding at the front is exactly what is happening!!!

and a perfect line on the sides

how odd

foxcub Mon 27-Aug-07 22:06:54

yes, not a good look in any man under 50 years old!

ruddynorah Mon 27-Aug-07 22:07:41

the worst bit is when they're laid on their backs a lot and get a bald patch on the back of their head.

ScottishMummy Mon 27-Aug-07 22:09:58

forgot the baldy bit where head rest

Wilkie Mon 27-Aug-07 22:16:17

Ruddy - and a flat spot. Bald flat spot. Hmmmmmm, my LO went through a really gorgeous phase hmm grin

ruddynorah Mon 27-Aug-07 22:18:17

i think the biggest shock for me when dd was maybe 3 months ish old to about 5 months ish old was that really she wasn't like a 'johnsons' baby. she had very very dry eczema skin, baby acne, baldy patches, cradle cap, dribble rash etc etc... she was absolutely gorgioso though!

Wilkie Mon 27-Aug-07 22:20:08

Ruddy - grin

DS had the biggest egg shaped head from a long labour, puffy eyes, a HUGE nose but he was beautiful. I look back at pictures and think urgh!!!!!!!!!

Heated Mon 27-Aug-07 22:26:22

DS rubbed his hair off round the back from lying in his moses basket and then got milk spots at 3 and then 9 weeks. The postman said, "He doesn't look very pretty!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now