14-year-old's obnoxious behaviour.... is this normal?

(2 Posts)
snowblight Fri 27-Dec-19 12:17:48

My son has morphed into the teenager from hell over the last year. I expected the usual surliness you read about but it's the sheer level of disrespect and verbal aggression towards myself and my partner that is shocking. Also the complete lack of any kind of self-awareness. No matter how badly he kicks off with no provocation, if you try and discuss what happened with him later on he point-blank refuses to accept that he was ever to blame for anything. It's almost become totally pointless trying to reason with him at all. You can present facts to him that are so clear-cut that any reasonable person would accept them and it's like talking to a brick wall. All he wants to do is sit in front of his computer screen playing games, there's zero social interaction. A lot of his old friends go out doing things together but he's never interested. We got one of the local youth workers involved but fear he's just saying the things she wants to hear. She suggests activities, clubs etc that he could join and he says yes but as soon as he's home and we suggest the same it's no, no, no. We're both at the end of our tether to be honest and wondering if there's anything else we can do or is it just a case of riding it out? Also does this sound par for the course or considerably worse than other teenagers?

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 29-Dec-19 19:42:45

It does sound a bit extreme OP. You might be better posting in the Teen Section than in this bit.

Can I just ask what happens when he kicks off?

If he's agreeing to go to activities, what happens if he doesn't go?

Does he have his screens removed at night too?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in