Talk

Advanced search

swaddling/ sleeping in a 6 week old -advice needed

(14 Posts)
relax Fri 24-Aug-07 21:05:14

i have a 6 week old baby who is my first child, he will sleep really well at night but only if swaddled . if not his arms twitch and wake him up and he will not settle. is there any age at which you shouldn't swaddle ? how / when do i get him out of it ( don't want to be doing it when he is 15!!!)
also he will not sleep in the day unless being held or rocked. the minute you put him in his carry cot he is awake. any tips?
thanks

foxybrown Fri 24-Aug-07 21:09:10

I think they wriggle out of the swaddle when they've had enough. Then I switch to a gro-bag.

As far as the cuddling to sleep goes, my lo is 6 weeks old too and I'm doing the same. I'll miss it when I can't do it anymore (hopefully when she's about 15!)

Tutter Fri 24-Aug-07 21:10:29

ds2 is 5 weeks old and i'm also swaddling

they'll get strong enough to free themselves at some point i guess

juuule Fri 24-Aug-07 21:10:30

Lol at swaddling at 15
I swaddled mine for as long as I could. In fact, I have swaddled (if it could be called that - more wrapped) my dd at 2y as that's how she liked settling to bed.

Lostmykeys Fri 24-Aug-07 21:11:36

Stick with the swaddling, my dc grew out of it when they started going thorugh at night, I then put them in a Grobag which they got on really well with. As for waking up when you put him in his carry cot - my daughter was the same, so I would swaddle and then put a rolled up small blanket or towel either side of her jsut below her shoulders. Worked a treat as she still thought I was holding her. Also this will soon pass. Sounds like you are doing a great job!

Jojay Fri 24-Aug-07 21:13:49

Congratulations on your lovely baby!!

I think they say swaddling is fine till about 3 months, but I think some people carry on much longer than that.

If it's working for you know, I'd carry on!!

To get them out of the habit, I think you start by leaving one arm out, then the other, but I haven't done it myself, so I can't really talk blush

With the settling in the day thing, I wouldn't worry at this stage, as long as it's not driving you too mad.

In a couple of months time, if he's still like it, there are various techniques you can try to teach him to settle himself, such as the shush pat technique, that the Baby Whisperer recommends.

But 6 wks is very young - you may well find it sorts itself out as he gets a bit older.

HTHsmile

relax Fri 24-Aug-07 21:26:22

thank you so much for your prompt replys.
i guess i am just a bit concerned that i have started something that i may not be able to get him out of at a later date. i shouldn't complain though because he has slept for about 9 hours a night just waking up for 1 feed.
i will try the rolled up towel technique for in the day. i don't mind the having to cuddle to get him to sleep but it can be a bit difficult to get ready in a morning having to do everything one handed because he wakes up the minute i put him down for a nap.
thank goodness for his vibrating bouncy chair if he is in a good mood he will sit in it long enough to have the quickest shower on record !!grin

wishingmummy Fri 24-Aug-07 21:47:28

cut yourslef some slack here- you are not going to get yourself into a poor routine or "start something" at 6 weeks old! they grow so quickly, and their needs and security change so much by 6 months! enjoy what you are doing, and give yourself a pet on the back that babe is sleeping and comfortable and above all happy- if you are still swaddling at 8 months, then worry- enjoy these first few weeks, they'll be over so quickly. plenty to worry about later on!!!

juliewoolie Fri 24-Aug-07 21:53:15

swaddling is brilliant for them at this age your LO does not really realise he has arms or legs and without swaddling there arms involuntary jump thus waking them, so continue with the swaddling I guarantee he will let you know when he no longer wants to be swaddled.

MY LO was a nightmare to put down during the day until recently he is 11 wks now dont worry about it make the most of cuddling him again it will change and well done if you manage to make it out of your PJ's and into the shower.

You are doing really well. Good luck

juuule Fri 24-Aug-07 21:55:45

I wouldn't worry about swaddling at 8months.
But agree with wishingmummy, enjoy what's happening now - especially if he's sleeping at 6wks. Brilliant. Keep doing whatever you are doing.
I also propped with a rolled up pram blankets. Lay swaddled baby on side slightly leaning backwards supported by the rolled up blanket and one in front to stop rolling forwards.

My3Girls Fri 24-Aug-07 21:58:26

My dd3 is 3 months tomorrow and still swaddled at nap times and bed time. I also swaddled dd1 until she was 5 months which is when she started rolling over. I found the best thing that helped dd1 after that was tightly tucked in blankets up to her armpits.

daisyandbabybootoo Fri 24-Aug-07 22:03:31

We were having sleep problems until about 3 weeks. I started swaddling and hey presto...sleep came and stayed. she's now eleven weeks and I still swaddle her at night, but she wriggles out of it before she falls asleep.

Keep swaddling...he will figure it out and be content about not being swaddled in his own time.

Hi juliewoolie...I hope you and LO are doing well!

Snowstorm Fri 24-Aug-07 22:13:54

If my memory serves me right, DD1 was swaddled at night time until she was around 11 weeks old and DD2 until she was 9 or 10 weeks old. At these points they started wriggling free of their swaddling blankets during the night and so I put them into grobags. They took to them straight away and we had no difficulties/disturbances.

Enjoy your baby - time flies!

pointydog Fri 24-Aug-07 22:26:48

I don't think there's an age. Things shift and change all the time with sleeping when they're wee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now