4 month old only naps for 45 mins at a time

(6 Posts)
CSMD Thu 19-Dec-19 16:49:12

Hi

My 4 month old will only nap during the day for 45 minutes at a time - is this normal or should I work on trying to extend his naps? He usually does 2 naps maybe 3 if I am lucky. Find it really hard to get him to sleep during the day, protesting a lot yet knackered. He goes to bed at 6/6:30 and usually wakes once just for resettling. He drinks around 30 ounces a day. Any advice appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
letsdothis123 Thu 19-Dec-19 20:08:22

Hi. I probably can't help but just say that all babies are ridiculously different. An example, with my baby... he's 10 months old and has only just slept through the night.
He naps in the day for a total of 2-3.5 hours (sometime broken up and sometimes all at once). Everyone told me he wasn't sleeping at night because he was sleeping too much in the day. So I woke him and put us both through HELL to try and change this. It made no difference. He now (pretty much) sleeps through and still naps like this in the day. I don't know if it's because he's growing so much (he's a big baby) but it doesn't matter. They do their own thing in their own time. From the other side of the scale, I'd give up mines day sleeping for night sleeping in a heartbeat.

You're doing an amazing job xxxxx

Moonshine160 Thu 19-Dec-19 20:15:56

Hi OP. What you describe for a 4 month old is completely normal. A baby’s sleep cycle is only 45 minutes long and at that age they haven’t yet learnt to link their sleep cycles together, so they wake up. Up until 6 months old my DS didn’t nap for more than 30-45 mins at a time. The naps had gradually got longer as he’s got older and now he has two 1.5 hour naps per day (he’s 9 months old). I didn’t do anything to change this, it just happened. He’ll get there x

Lilice Sat 21-Dec-19 21:13:28

My kids did the same at that age and I agree with @Moonshine160. Wasn't too bad with my first kid as she'd wake up and go back straight away but my second one wouldn't and his sleep cycle was only 30 minutes. I used to try and rock him back to sleep to help him sleep another cycle but it didnt work, I gave up and he eventually just did it himself after a while. He never napped longer than an hour. But he was sleeping through the night from 3 months old. Really shows how daytime and night time sleep are completely different.

CSMD Sat 21-Dec-19 21:37:59

Thanks for all your replies x

OP’s posts: |
kikibo Sat 21-Dec-19 22:37:17

Yes, normal.

Usually the lunchtime nap is longer, about 1.5 hours, but 45 minutes is a baby's natural sleep cycle.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in