Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

newborn confusing night and day help help help sleep deprived...

(7 Posts)
wulfricsmummy Fri 24-Aug-07 15:02:55

Message withdrawn

lulumama Fri 24-Aug-07 15:05:25

congratulations on the birth !!

4 days is nothing, you cannot really expect any differentiation between day and night at this age...baby has barely realised he has been born !

try to just go with the flow and not worry too much about routine...

you cannot make him wake when he is tired at this stage, just feeding is tiring for a new born

wulfricsmummy Fri 24-Aug-07 15:09:21

Message withdrawn

fluffyanimal Fri 24-Aug-07 15:12:07

My HV told me - and this could be a load of rubbish - that babies are programmed biologically to feed more at night because when we were all cavemen, it was safer to be up at night!

I think it is just quite normal behaviour, but you can help gradually programme his body clock by being really boring at night - no talking to him, just quiet feeding and quiet body contact, keeping lights dim, don't change his nappy unless really necessary. During the day, try to do something with him after a feed to keep him awake for a short period - carry him outside, walk round the room, show him a toy, play some music etc. Good luck, and it will get better eventually I promise!

lulumama Fri 24-Aug-07 15:14:42

it does get better

are you breastfeeding? if so, feeding more at night is better, IIRC, to establish and build up supply....

the first 6 weeks is a blur of feeding and feeding and nappies, so breathe, and remember, this too will pass

wulfricsmummy Fri 24-Aug-07 16:30:13

Message withdrawn

mimsum Fri 24-Aug-07 18:13:41

levels of prolactin are much higher at night at this stage so feeding more at night is the norm - it really, really won't last for ever - just try and get as much help as you can - accept all offers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now