Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

when can a child pull up covers to keep themselves warm?

(12 Posts)
MaeBee Wed 22-Aug-07 21:00:24

okay, i have no idea but really want to know! what sort of age is average for a kid to know to put on another layer, or pull up covers to keep warm?!?
in short, when do i stop fretting that my baby is too hot or cold at night?

babyblue2 Wed 22-Aug-07 21:02:33

I'd stop fretting otherwise you'll never get any sleep. If its a baby are they in a sleeping bag, if its a toddler well then they'll work it out for themselves.

FlossALump Wed 22-Aug-07 21:04:39

I remember a friend phoning me for the first time after the birth of her first baby, some time within the first week. She told me her baby was very clever as he had managed to kick the sheets off as he was too hot... I had to put her right!!!

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 22-Aug-07 21:08:09

My ds1 is 2.8yo and I still go in and pull his covers up before we go to bed.

cece Wed 22-Aug-07 21:15:27

Get a sleeping bag and pop lo in there - no problems with kicking off sheets then!

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Wed 22-Aug-07 21:15:56

my dd is 2.10 and hasnt worked it out yet! [grin she sleeps fine tho, if they're cold they'll wake up!!

purpleduck Wed 22-Aug-07 21:17:31

Um, my son started doing this last year (at about age 6) I must admit, it has been a lovely milestone! (I know, I'm a saddo)

TheQueenOfQuotes Wed 22-Aug-07 21:17:44

DS2 figured it out before he was even 2.

DS1 (7 in a few weeks time) still needs covering up occasionally.

bozza Wed 22-Aug-07 21:17:57

My DD is 3.3 and still sometimes wakes up in the night and shouts me because she hasn't got any covers. Now I am not sure if this is a clever trick to drag mummy out of bed or if she genuinely can't sort it out.

bozza Wed 22-Aug-07 21:18:34

6yo DS has been fine for ages. But I think he just didn't bother about being cold.

Olihan Wed 22-Aug-07 21:22:02

Ds1 worked it out at about 3yo, dd is just 2yo and has been doing it for the last few months. It just depends on the child I think.

Baby sleeping bags are fab though, they keep them at a constant temp and you don't have to worry about them getting cold/hot.

MaeBee Thu 23-Aug-07 09:19:21

thanks! my lo is in a sleeping bag, but the temperature in his room drops at night quite a bit (north facing) so i seem to have the choice of putting him down too warm or risking him getting cold at 4 in the morning! its not for his sake im worrying,its not liking to be got up at that time to put an extra blanket on. he's only 10.5 mths though so i guess hes got a way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now