Talk

Advanced search

Really stuck with DSs behaviour at Nursery now.

(18 Posts)
madmarchhare Mon 20-Aug-07 16:03:47

Time out (nurseries default) doesnt work

Tried a couple of things that nursery suggested, but after a couple of weeks success, back to square on.

Its not all day and when he is good, he is almost angelic.

He had a good vocabulary and is very funny.

I have a meeting with Key Worker tomorrow.

I am getting to the point where I dread picking him up.

Today, I could just cry, which is not like me.

madmarchhare Mon 20-Aug-07 16:04:33

apols for errors, im having a bad day.

Saturn74 Mon 20-Aug-07 16:08:36

How old is your DS, MMH?

madmarchhare Mon 20-Aug-07 16:09:55

Oh yes, hes 3.8

Saturn74 Mon 20-Aug-07 16:12:22

What does he do that puts him in time out?
Is there a pattern to it?

madmarchhare Mon 20-Aug-07 16:15:29

Its usually for pushing, smacking, snatching, shouting.

He is an only child.

He is OK most of the time at home. A bit of a giddy kipper but I would say not normal for his age etc..

madmarchhare Mon 20-Aug-07 16:16:28

I should say normal

madmarchhare Mon 20-Aug-07 16:17:38

Its usually connected to two boys in particular

Saturn74 Mon 20-Aug-07 16:17:38

Do you have some suggestions for the meeting tomorrow?

eg: if DS finds sharing difficult, can they work with him on games where he practises this?

Does he respond well to incentive - would a reward chart be useful?

madmarchhare Mon 20-Aug-07 16:26:06

That just it, I dont really know where to start.

Have tried reward charts but not very successful.

Sharing, or lack of, is often the trigger. That would be a good starting point for me tomorrow.

funnypeculiar Mon 20-Aug-07 16:32:16

Sharing games is a good idea.

Have you got friends whose dcs are 'good sharers'. We had some friends who shared angelically round a lot and it helped ds. Was a bit cringeworthy for me, but there you go!

Sounds a bit corny, but could you ask HIM to think about what could help (might be worth isolating one thing that he finds hard & tackling that first) - ds is getting very creative about solns to 'sharing' with dd (16 mths) since we started asking him to solve it a bit more...

Doodledootoo Mon 20-Aug-07 16:43:25

Message withdrawn

madmarchhare Mon 20-Aug-07 16:44:44

No one to really practice with at home, but will deffo mention this to nursery.

madmarchhare Mon 20-Aug-07 16:47:59

I did wonder about other two boys but didnt want to look like I was 'blaming' dss behaviour on them.

I think it will have to be mentioned though.

Gosh, I didnt realise it could get this complicated at 3.

cazzybabs Mon 20-Aug-07 16:52:09

It sounds like, to me, they are not dealing with him in the right way. The time out is not working - so try a differnet way.

I would remove the triggers - praise praise praise. When it looks like he is going to react to the boys remove him from it - come on littlemadmarchhare lets go and put the cups out for snack time, or lets let Y play with that for 5 minutes while you play with the lego. And stickers stickers stickers - oh look littlemadmarchhare you are playing nicely and sharing you can have a sticker.

Could they also do role play or a circle time - how do you feel when someone pushes you, what could we do to stop feeling like we need to push them.

I am assuming he has a year left in nursery before be starts school - and so they need to sort it out in a postiive manner.

cazzybabs Mon 20-Aug-07 16:53:28

And they also need to make sure they praise him infront of you as well as at the time - do you remember littlemarchhare when you did this etc etc.

madmarchhare Mon 20-Aug-07 16:56:44

They are quite good at praise.

Not too sure about diversion. I will ask them tomorrow. Can I really expect them to be keeping an eye on things constantly though?

sarahhal Thu 20-Sep-07 21:21:41

Know this is an old thread, but just came across this after an awful experience with DS1 (remember us from the YSP Mile for Maude?) and searching for advice!!

Hope that things are getting better for you at nursery and that your DS has settled down.

Are you working full time? We're meeting up at Leapfrogs next Thursday if you are around?

Hope you are feeling better - I'm the one with a sinking dread tonight after DSes antics at a play place sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now