Talk

Advanced search

knee walkers sign in here please!

(19 Posts)
fibernie Mon 20-Aug-07 12:43:25

Does anyone have a child who walked on their knees for ages before going on to walk properly? My DD is 19 months and has been doing this for about 4months now. She furniture walks, walks holding one hand and I know she'll walk eventually... this morning some old sod said to me, 'Don't you think it'll harm her to let her walk like that?' I just looked at him with annoyance and said, 'That's how she walks, she's fine!'

Support from other parents of knee walkers please!

Reallytired Mon 20-Aug-07 18:46:50

My newphew did this until he was two years old and now walks absolutely fine.

My son used to walk on his toes and we had lots of stupid comments. Don't them anyone get you down.

fibernie Mon 20-Aug-07 19:36:32

Thanks. I think I'm just worn out from carrying her around lots, so it doesn't help when someone says something daft! I don't know what he expected me to do about it! She's a very strong minded wee thing, and she'll stand up and walk until she's ready!
Nice to know she's not the only one, although I suspect from lack of response it's quite unusual!

lulurose Mon 20-Aug-07 20:22:35

I posted a few weeks ago about my dd2 (19months) who is still not walking. I still get sooooo many comments from family and random strangers but am trying not to stress too much. There were loads of posts on here reassuring me and telling me about their litle bum shufflers and knee walkers. My dd crawls mainly but also enjoys pushing her dolls buggy around on her knees, she is getting through jeans very quickly at the knee! Am hoping she'll be walking by 2, shes quite heavy now and gets frustrated at the park when I won't let her crawl through the muddy puddles.....

You are not alone! x

fibernie Mon 20-Aug-07 20:32:18

I know what you mean about the jeans wearing out, I don't even bother putting dd in skirts or dresses because we've got wooden floors and I think it must hurt! Got an appointment with orthopaedic physio on Friday as her feet don't seem quite right. She's in size 2G cruiser shoes, so her feet are teeny tiny in comparison with the rest of her.
Glad to find someone with a dd of the same age still not walking. Agree too about the park being frustrating - I let mine knee about now, and take a change of trousers with me!

lulurose Mon 20-Aug-07 20:38:44

My dd was referred to physio but because shes still within the normal developmental range (up to 2 years) they won't give me an appointment until nearer Xmas , she'll be 2 in Jan. Her feet are a size 5F, she wears cruisers too which I thought would provide her with a bit of support, she sometimes appears to walk on the inner soles of her feet when i'm holding her. I hope your appointment gives you some reassurance that all is ok...

fibernie Mon 20-Aug-07 20:43:34

thanks, will let you know how it goes!

Habbibu Mon 20-Aug-07 20:44:26

Hello Fi! Just remembered that my mum put big thick socks on my neice's legs when she was crawling about - may cushion knees a bit?

fibernie Mon 20-Aug-07 20:46:30

Oooh, big stripey ones? Like a St Trinian's girl?

Habbibu Mon 20-Aug-07 20:48:56

No. Nice fat thick ones that I bought for her (mum) to keep her own feet warm. That's gratitude. I have some too, which you are welcome to borrow to experiment.

fibernie Mon 20-Aug-07 20:51:21

I think I need baby leg warmers.... shame we're not still in the 80s. Mind you, stripy leg warmers were the reason I was chucked out of the brownies - another story.

expatinscotland Mon 20-Aug-07 20:53:15

DD1!

She was 22 months before she walked. She even jumped on her knees.

Now DD2 is a bum shuffler. She'll walk holding your hand for a bit, and cruise on furniture. And stand for ages and ages. But walk? Nah. She's 20 months old.

Habbibu Mon 20-Aug-07 20:57:59

Didn't know it was possible to be chucked out of the Brownies. Thought you had to be kidnapped by a special agent and deprogrammed.

CeciC Mon 20-Aug-07 20:58:35

Hi Fibernie,
My DD1 walked on her knees from about 11 months to 17/18 months. It didn't worry me at all, and thankfully anyone said any comments, everyone found it quite funny. She never cruised around the furniture, as most babies do, and then one day when she was around 18 months, she decide that was time to walk like everyone else, and she stood up, and start walking. She didn't stop for around half an hour. Now she is 6 and no problems at all about running, jumping.
If someone makes any comment, just say,"she likes to polish the floor" and turn around.

fibernie Tue 21-Aug-07 19:56:48

She does like to polish the floor actually, usually with a piece of kitchen roll though! Mmm, maybe I should attach some cloths to her knees.
Thanks for all the stories folks, now really looking forward to the 'standing up and walking' moment!

Elles Wed 22-Aug-07 08:53:02

Oh thank goodness! I've been starting to worry about my 17 month old. People keep telling me he's late to walk and all the baby bulletins I get on email say stuff like..."now your baby is walking confidently.." Err...not mine! He's been walking on his knees for months. He takes a few steps from time to time but doesn't seem particularly bothered. But if you try walking on your knees you'll find it actually takes a lot of effort, more than walking on your feet, so I say he's extra strong and building up his muscles beautifully!

sugarmatches Wed 22-Aug-07 19:59:34

Please please please don't stress out!
I was a bundle of nerves and tears about the same thing. Ds is 20 months old and just started walking 2 weeks ago! Now he is almost too quick for me.
He did this knee walking thing right before he started walking, so it will be soon. I suggest going to primark and buying some cheap trousers because it does ruin the knees.

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Wed 22-Aug-07 20:10:44

my ds does both tip-toe walking and knee walking holding a walker, he is only 9mo but i dont think id worry too much even if he was older! they get it eventually dd was around 19/20 months before she walked, think my kids are just lazy!

fibernie Wed 22-Aug-07 20:15:44

Yay! The knee walking club is ever growing! Do any of your children have really small feet like mine?
She walked about 30metres today holding onto one of my hands only stopping for a short knee-walk then was helped to stand up. We were both very proud!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now